BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been fishing around Thrasher or that area lately and any reports or advice? I am headed over to the Gulf Islands this weekend for some cruising/fishing/sipping a few beers. :wink:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jay....you can PM if you want, but looking at that depth I don't think we are going to get down that far with a deep six.

I know you do some mooching around Thrasher area....you have any tips??

Thanks a lot man.....you are a wealth of information for that area!! 8)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigjay said:
Here is a good site with recent info .http://www.silverbluecharters.com/news.php. Intresting to hear of the off shore sockeye possiblity. Unfortuanly the Ling Cod has closed down again. Have fun, Jason
Jay.....is this notice that Coho Killer posted what you are referring to with lings?

Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - General Information
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Subject: FN0707-Recreational Fin Fish: Lingcod - Strait of Georgia - Areas 17 & 29 - Closure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effective 00:01 hours August 21, retention of lingcod is prohibited in Area 17
and Subarea 29-5. Proportioning the total allowable catch for lingcod within
the fishery management area is important for the long-term sustainability of
lingcod abundance. To date a disproportionately high level of catch has
originated from Area 17 and 29-5.

Variation Order No. 2006-392

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Gary Logan, 604-666-6810

·
Registered
550 Posts
Seems they cant make thier mind up :? .

Subject: FN0717-Recreational Fin Fish: Lingcod - FN0707 Cancelled - Areas 13 to 19 & Subarea 29-5 Remain Open

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0717-Recreational Fin Fish: Lingcod - FN0707 Cancelled - Areas 13 to 19 & Subarea 29-5 Remain Open

Fishery Notice FN0707, is CANCELLED, announced closure of Area 17 and Subarea
29-5 will not be implemented.

Recreational fishing for lingcod within the Strait of Georgia, Areas 13 to 19
including Subarea 29-5 will remain open for lingcod retention.

The recreational fishing mortality of 5,000 pieces within this management area
remains in effect.

Variation Order No. 2006-263 & 2006-264

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Gary Logan, 604-666-6810

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0717
Sent August 17, 2006 at 08:51
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
just goes to show how incosistant DFO(FOC) REALLY IS!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone wanna call my cell phone on Saturday morning if things change?? :wink: :roll:

·
Registered
98 Posts
If i read that right they have a quota for lings of 5,000 they feel the areas they have closed have reach their limit in proportion to the quota its called conservation

·
Registered
61 Posts
Finfish Other than Salmon

Effective June 1 to September 30, 2006, you may retain one lingcod per day, minimum size limit 65cm, except for in Rockfish Conservation Areas which remain closed. (Please check for Rockfish Conservation Areas above). The annual limit for lingcod is 10, and permitted gear is hook and line gear only (no spear fishing).

Inshore rockfish are currently open for fishing throughout the Strait of Georgia (Areas 13 to 19, 28 and 29) except in Rockfish Conservation Areas. To ensure that conservation requirements are met, this recreational rockfish fishery will close on September 30, 2006.

Here is the link to the Rockfish Conservation Areas:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Restricted_Areas/Rockfish_Maps_2004/default_e.htm

·
Registered
550 Posts
If i read that right they have a quota for lings of 5,000 they feel the areas they have closed have reach their limit in proportion to the quota its called conservation
Any idea of how they know when the quota is reached :?:

-RC

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is infact the first year in about five that ling cod retention has been allowed in area 17. Bob Meyer a local giude and many of the local fishers have been trying to get a opening for ling cod in that area for the last five years as it has be literally infested with little ling. That may sound like a good thing but little ling are less likely to breed as effectively and compete directely with rock fish for habitat. Little lings will take a swipe at anything use the same 20' to 40' young rock fish use. I would like to see a fishery where there is an upper and lower limit... say 45 cm to 70 cm so the biggens are left and the one that compete with rock fish are take. And the ten or less a year. Who's at DFO do I talk with?
RC, I would like to know how they come up with the 5000 # caught, as I have never had them call or look at my catch total in years. From the few times I have been out around Silva bay I am sure it is over the quota... not because of the # of ling I have caught, that has stayed about the same rather I see alot of boat specificly going for ling.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get a hold of one of the Resource Managers or the rockfish biologist (Most areas have at least one) in the area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fishery notices/ phone #s

Hi, Guys, First time on board, just call me RonB, About the ling cod closures get a hold of Gary [email protected] 604-666-6810 for the latest info. His phone # is posted in Fisheries and Oceans Canada, @ http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca. Caught 3 67cm-74cm lings down from Thrasher Rock Green can bouy about 1 mile down and 3/4 mile out on the bumps @ 60 to 80 ft along the edges. Campbell river is hot up Discovery Passage from Brown bay to Nodales channel.Springs, pinks, sockeye. Tight lines, RonB

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for info.....and thanks Jason for all the detailed info. Unfortunately one of the engines on the boat was having problems so we ended up just kicking around the local waters, but did manage to get a good feed of crabs out in English Bay.

Will be hopefully getting over this weekend or possibly for a few days next week.....I'll keep you posted on reports and if anyone hears any up to date info it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts