BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

im just having troubles justifying the huge price difference.
ive read some great reviews on both waders and for the price on Redingtons matched with their compareble features
im having trouble justifying the huge price difference or taking the chance on the CPX waders.

has anyone owned both these waders or spent some time in each?

i know simms are a huge name in the wader business and alot of guys swear by them
however i hear the same reports on every wader that ppl have owned G3's (even G4's) and blown a seam within the first
few outings.. any wader can have faults.

I also know that simms uses gortex material and its the best breathable material on the market
how does the material used in the CPX compare?

i dont have a ton of money to spend right now. so if i could save a chunk of change at its worth it to do so. i would like that option

thanks for input guys

cheers

p.s. i've actually seen a review online where the CPX zipper front were compared to the G4 zipper front (however im not going for the zipper fronts)
the waders have a striking resemblance

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know too much about the CPX but I do have a pair of Redington Waders I bought like 5 years ago. And these are the only waders that have lasted me more than a year and half. Once a year I wash them with Sport Wash and retreat them with Revivex. I have friends that have leaky Simms after 8 months but I also heard that Redington was having a major leaking issue and one store sent all their stock back. But problem could be solved by now. I would personally save the xtra cash and go with Redington. If you have a problem with them the store you buy them from should have no problems taking care of it for you

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
just bought the simms freestones, can,t say much about them yet except very comfortable and seem to be very well put together, was told the cpx,s have been discontinued because of too many leak problems and the new ones are coming out in dec sometime.....hope this helps

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The CPX's have been discontinued for the new model year. The new version (called the Sonic Pro) actually have welded seams, not sewn. This reduces the number of holes on a fabric, thereby effectively reducing leaks significantly. They've been completely redesigned and should be available by mid-November according to their Twitter feed.

http://www.sonicprowaders.com/zip.html
http://www.pitchengine.com/redingto...h-no-stitching-in-the-sonic-pro-series/81470/
The features look almost identical to the Simms.
$349 US for the zip front
$249 for the non-zip front

As for Gore-tex, it's only a brand name now. The patent on the design & manufacturing of the material expried a couple of years ago so, although companies can't call their material Gore-Tex, it's identical (or close to it) in design and purpose.

If it were my money, I'd be buying the zip front style. I have a pair of zip fronts from another manufacturer and really like the benefits the zipper provides. Easy in/out and when nature calls, I don't have to take off 3 layers of clothing to answer it.

Just my thoughts and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those new sonic welded seams are pretty cool.
i wish they were available already, id give them a try.
i wonder if i got the cpx waders and they began to leak if the company would allow me
to trade up for the new ones since the cpx are discontinued due to leaking seams.
or would the only perform repairs on my current waders?

thanks for all the info guys. i really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
those new sonic welded seams are pretty cool.
i wish they were available already, id give them a try.
i wonder if i got the cpx waders and they began to leak if the company would allow me
to trade up for the new ones since the cpx are discontinued due to leaking seams.
or would the only perform repairs on my current waders?

thanks for all the info guys. i really appreciate it
If you're thinking about the CPX's and want to trade up if problems arise, give their Customer Service # a call before you buy. Make sure you get something in writing (or email) that specifically says you can do it. Also make sure it says you only pay the difference between the CPX cost and the Sonic's.

If you develop problems in the CPX, they would probably only repair that model unless you had prior authorization for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well at least you guys have a choice!!!....Yesterday while fishing I was thinking - wow my legs are cold.... my teeth were actually starting to chatter - lol... Got back to the boat launch - took off my gear and my jeans were absolutely soaked :( So today I spent the day looking for a new pair of waders ::) good luck with that...(The simms pair I have are no longer made!! - discontinued) First off they really do not have alot of styles for women :p so I had to settle for the womens headwaters or childrens (with NO POCKETS AT ALL) both with HUGE feet by the way! I mean whos feet size starts at size 6 :p - lol. Yeah having really small feet is another problem... So I ended up settling for the womans headwaters - that are really big all round -And so what the heal of the waders is up at my ankle ::) Plus the waders only fit under my arm pits - but thats ok ::) At least I can still go fishing next week :thumbup: Really liked the G-3's and the G-4s - if only they came in my size :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point. i wonder why they wouldnt make atleast a g3 wader in womens. or put out a g 3.5 thats a specific high end womens wader.
i think im going to get a set of headwaters myself tho.
im still not 100% hopefully figure it out by this weekend. go to the tackle shop and see what i can be talked into ;-)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ha ha.

Little People Big World.

Maybe speak to Matt Roloff about that?

He'll get the ball rolling. ;)

Well at least you guys have a choice!!!....Yesterday while fishing I was thinking - wow my legs are cold.... my teeth were actually starting to chatter - lol... Got back to the boat launch - took off my gear and my jeans were absolutely soaked :( So today I spent the day looking for a new pair of waders ::) good luck with that...(The simms pair I have are no longer made!! - discontinued) First off they really do not have alot of styles for women :p so I had to settle for the womens headwaters or childrens (with NO POCKETS AT ALL) both with HUGE feet by the way! I mean whos feet size starts at size 6 :p - lol. Yeah having really small feet is another problem... So I ended up settling for the womans headwaters - that are really big all round -And so what the heal of the waders is up at my ankle ::) Plus the waders only fit under my arm pits - but thats ok ::) At least I can still go fishing next week :thumbup: Really liked the G-3's and the G-4s - if only they came in my size :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
OHH had to add - for almost 400.00 bucks (including the tax) you'd think I would get some options......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts