BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting tired of numb hands for years, I finally bought some Windstopper half-finger gloves (the new-for-2010 model). They were pricey, but I like them so far and they are probably the best solution to cold hands during winter fishing that I've found to date.

The good
  • Very comfortable during a day's fishing, you do not notice them, and they certainly don't get in the way like every other glove I've tried. For a guy who *hates* to wear gloves , this is saying something.
  • The are small enough to easily pack into a ball that would fit inside a tennis ball for lack of a better reference.
  • Virtually no loss of feel as opposed to bare hands.
  • Does indeed stop wind.
  • Retain a lot of their warmth when wet.

The bad
  • By "water-resistant", Simms does in fact mean "resistant" not "waterproof". The gloves soak through pretty quick but do retain some warmth even when wet. Best to forget anything about water resistance and just remember that these gloves are warmish when wet.
  • The heater-pack pouch is too small for common heater packs. (Incedentally, I find the toe-warmer charcoal heat packs to be much better than the hand-warmer packs, even when from the same brand). I've gone back to placing a heater pack between my cuffs and my wrist.
  • I was surprised by the thinness of the gloves. They seem more appropriate for fall and spring than winter. Neither bad nor good, but something to take into account. The Freestone gloves look more-suited to winter
  • The palms are kind of slippery against cork. This means holding a drift rod in one hand is a little dicey with a bigger reel like a 6500 C3 levelwind or casting an 8wt with a heavy tip. The palm of the hand slips against the cork of the handle.
  • The palm is not waterproof, as a result, grabbing a wet branch while bushwacking results a wet hand.
  • The gloves seem to start to smell bad (like ski gloves) really quickly. All gloves do this, but for $50+ I'd kind of like to have some of that anti-bacterial cloth that is available for socks to cut down on the reak-factor.
  • Some of the threads in the fingers have started to unravel, though it does not appear that this is leading to the gloves starting to fall apart at all.
  • Wicks water pretty bad. Definitely keep these over top of you jacket cuffs.

The verdict
The gloves certainly cut down on the number of time I had to put my hands in my pockets to warm up, they don't interfere with fishing the way wool gloves do and I wouldn't want to be without them BUT they are not without their faults. If I lost mine, I'd probably replace them, but I'd probably grumble about it first.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I also have these gloves and think they are great. They do get wet quick but still remain warm. These are the best fingerless gloves I have ever owned, due to the fact that you don't even remember you have them on.

Nates,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts