BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my evening fishing cut short yesterday after getting clotheslined by a prawn trap. Fortunately I was able to save all my gear and cannonballs, but what a piss off.
It's bad enough that these guys dropped their traps right along the drop-off that everyone trolls, but then to only have 15-20 ft of sinking line braided to floating line, and without any line weights........ what a great gear harvester! You give it a wide berth, but can see the sinking line going almost straight down, but little do you know that the floating line is almost horizontal just under where you can see, for hundreds of feet.
Even saw a jigger get caught after me, even though he'd seen me get caught. He'd given it an extra wide berth, but still tagged. Luckily his was waaaay more easily dealt with.

Anyway, had to vent.
Thks

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's a hazard to navigation I think you can just pull it. I've gotten caught by floating lines before and yes they really do suck! Glad you were able to salvage some of your day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a hazard to navigation I think you can just pull it. I've gotten caught by floating lines before and yes they really do suck! Glad you were able to salvage some of your day.
I thought about that, but figured that floating 15-20ft under the water probably wasn't a hazard to navigation. Just a hazard to fishermen.
Yup, could've been a waaaay more costly day, and considering I didn't see anyone reaching for their nets, I don't think I missed much. Sadly, the fishing has become more of a lottery these days, than a fishery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This ahs happened to me as well I did lose gear. Be very careful pulling someone's traps this can lead to trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts