BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hit the Skagit (upper) for the second time this year. The water had receded about 3 - 6 inches since opening dayh, which is to say that at Sumallo Grove and down from there the river was basically unfishable. After trying to coax something out of the water for about 1/2 hour, we decided to drive further up river to find skinnier water. We stopped at the Cayuse campground and went down to the river. There were lots of small pools and runs and, aside from deadfalls everywhere, it was very wadable. The good news was that in the next couple of hours we were into 10 to 15 fish each on the dry fly. The bad news was the largest fish was about 9 or 10 inches. Still on light fly rods we often felt like we had a fish on. The fish were son new to the game that virtually any dry fly you chose to use would produce takes. I think the river is going to need at least another 2 weeks to even start to come into shape. Still visible snow up in the mountains to melt yet. The mosquitos aren't ( and never have been) a factor on the upper river, yet another reason I won't waste my time fishing the lower. The other reason is that I never see many anglers on the upper river. For example, yesterday we were the only vehicle in the Sumallo Grove parking lot. Anyway, the fishing was goofy, but the day was not wasted by any means.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
good report Prof

couple more weeks for a newbie to get up there eh ;) as i dont know the system and have heard you can catch tons of fish per day but all pretty small and a C&R

any tips ?

HOOK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im a newbie too ;) Atleast on that River. Ive only been there twice. I got a 16 incher within my first 1/2 hour of being there. Awesome little stream But quite the drive. My Van broke down half about 20km up the road I was stuck With no cell phone service. Luckily a park ranger was driving back to town and let me use his Satellite phone :beerchug: :beerchug: .

P.S. I never knew mosquitoes could get so bad; BRING YOUR BUG SPRAY

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOOK said:
good report Prof

couple more weeks for a newbie to get up there eh ;) as i dont know the system and have heard you can catch tons of fish per day but all pretty small and a C&R

any tips ?

HOOK
Hook-First thing to know is I don't fish the lower river. I usually start in the Sumallo grove area (just off highway 3 in Manning Park). I have had great days there catching numerous fish in the 14 -15" range with an occasional 16" fish. my 3 favorite dry flies are yellow comparadun, parachute adams, and yellow/orange stimulators. I seldom use a fly larger than #12 and usually #16. For nymphs I use river dragon, hare's ear and skip nymph in dark tones or green/olive. I am heading out of town for the next t hree weeks, but will be happy to take you up to the skagit sometime after I get back.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
sounds like a good plan Prof

if sockeye open beginning of august will have to wait till after that. is that still a good time to go up there?
i say this cause you said your gone for 3weeks right?

do the fish destroy the flies often enough to have to purchase half a dozen of each one?

tight lines

HOOK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.