BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my favorite river on Thursday, July 22nd. It seemed cool, was overcast most of the day. Saw little hatch and only a couple of fish taking off the surface. Caught a few rainbow who rose to the dry fly. The saving grace for the day was the Dolly Varden who were quite willing to accommodate us. River is still a bit high, though certainly wade-able at most spots. We did get stuck once and had to backtrack up the river as it was quite a hike to the road through the woods. In another week or so it should be perfect. Road was washboard. One person I passed on the road had two flat tires. He had only one spare so the tow truck was on the way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Was fishng the upper Skagit yesterday from Sumallo Grove down to the first camp about 4 kms down the trail, beautiful day out, but, as is can be with the Skagit, the air was busy with all sorts of insects. Got into a few small rainbow floating tom thumbs on some of the slower pools. Not as productive as I have seen it in years past, but all in all, a beautiful way to spend the day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
fished that same stretch today bcguy. did about the same as you with the dries and when i switched to wets the only thing i got was a sizable dolly which didnt stay on for too long before breaking off.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was out Friday and the river is coming into shape very nicely. Only hit it for about 3 hours, but managed a dozen fish in that time. Not many rising, despite reasonably good hatches, yet they all came to #12 stimulators. A couple takes were so aggressive, that the buggers cleared the water going after the fly. The fish were your regular Skagit types, 13" to 15", and great fun on a 3 weight. I had one larger fish that I turned at least 8 times, but he simply wouldn't take the fly. He rolled on it everytime it went over his lie. I changed up to a larger stimi...nothing. I tried a smaller stimi...nothiing. I tried Adams, comparaduns,mayflies,nymphs (including Gile's River dragon,my go to in hard situations)...nothing. Back to #12 stimi and he rolled on it a couple more times, but no love. All told a very nice day. On a side note, I forgot my polaroids at home, and believe me dry fly fishing without them was difficult to say the least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts