BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience fishing this river? Most of the info I've come across tends to assume you'll be drifting or "boon dogging" the river in a boat. I looking to go down, drive Route/Highway 20 and look for a place to fish from the bank, Vedder style. It would be nice if someone could point me in the right direction so I would have a place to go to first thing in the morning and fish. Then later in the day I'd do some exploring around the area.
Thanks

· Registered
940 Posts
The river doesn't have much, if any "good" bank access water. There are a few decent spots, but very water level dependent. they raise and lower the damn throughout the day, so depending on what the flow is, you may or may not be able to access it.

You are correct in your presumption of the "boon dogging" as this is generally what the masses do on the Skagit. It is a big river. much bigger in most areas than that of the Vedder. I would say that on over 98% of it, you will not be able to cross from one side to the other, throughout the year. The waters are not like that of the Vedder, which have generally well defined holes or nice pocket water. It is more of a wide river with deep slots or deeper holding water throughout.

Bottom line, to fish the Skagit along the area that you are wishing to do so, from the bank will be very difficult. Not impossible, just will take a little driving and spotting small runs next to the road. From Howard Miller Steelhead park, up the road a few miles will be a pull out for cars to pull over and view wildlife, mainly eagles. Start looking through this stretch for small side channels. There are a few decent slots along this stretch if you keep an eye open. It's hard to explain exactly where they are, but once you get to the area, this will all make sense.

good luck

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Swift creek (a signed trib follow it down to the flow)and the old chapel pool ( look for a tiny church on the right side of the road as you head u/s and follow the trail) are options. both are high up around the rockport and marblemont area. Both good pools. As thrasher said though river levels will change your ability to get to them.
Look on the top of this section to find WA state h2o levels.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thrasher and Pat AV, Thanks a lot for the replies ! Sorry for the late "thank you" though, it took me a while to build up my posts so i could actually read your replies. That's exactly the info i was looking for. I might scout it out this summer to see what it's like and find some places to fish for another time. :beerchug:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.