BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was up there last weekend with my son and pretty much didn't see another sole the whole time. River is low and wadeable in many spots. Didn't spend too long up there, so didn't really witness any hatches, thus had to work pretty hard to get a take on the dry. #14 adams and royal wulff seemed to work, although I did manage to catch nice fish after throwing on a hopper pattern out of frustration. I'm thinking with the water so low the fish get pretty skittish so you need to make every cast count. For me, it was just good to get out with my son and watch him progress as a fly fisherman.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the weeds, the last time I was up there ( 4 weeks ago) I did very well on dry flys. I can't tell you which ones, but make sure it has a bit of blue in it. Try the pools down from 26 mile bridge. Get as far away from the road as possible, and you'll do great. Alot of people just fish the day use area's, but beleive me, you'll catch more fish if you do a little exploring. Watch for risers, and go hammer them. Just release them with care please. I've noticed that the fish just seemed to be averaging out smaller these days, and that's because peolple don't handle them with care, and they die. The Bull trout should start running soon if you're into that, and you will find them down towards the lake in those infomous log jams. Sneak up on them and toss out something big and ugly, the keys is to get that fly down deep! Good luck out there, I think I will wait a little bit longer to head back out there. Make sure you fish before the sun hits, and after the sun goes down. Report back to us here, I wanna know how the river is doing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never fished river and streams before, so far I have just been a stillwater guy. What do I need to wade the river? Can I get buy in shorts and sneakers? I have waders but no boots to go with them (they ar for use in a belly boat). Or would I freeze my a$$????????

As for gear I would take my 5wt out there.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I regularly wet-wade the Skagit, but I would suggest you wear work boots, or something higher than sneakers, as the rocks can be painful if (when) you slip on them and bang your ankle. If you have an old pair of boots (hiking, work, or the like) that you are not using for anything else, you can glue (use Shoe-Goo or Auto-Goo) a piece of carpet to the sole (pile side out) to greatly increase your traction on wet rocks. As for your rod, a 5 wt is just fine for the Skagit.
check out the following for more details:
http://flyfishbc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137
http://flyfishbc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fished the Skagit at Rockport for the first time back in April. I was told there is a spring steelhead run. I saw no steelies but did catch some pretty sizeable dollies. With the mention of 5-wt rods I assume the trout fishing in the river is pretty good? Any info on the river would be appreciated especially steelhead-reated.

Redfin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.