BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know anything about the skagit river. I have been thinking about buying property down there and have been wondering what the fishing is like down there and what the crowds are like. It would be nice to find a place that is less crowded than the Veddar.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I was referring to Washington state, somewhere between Sedro Wolley and Marblemount. I have been looking at the internet listings and have found lots of affordable recreational property on or near the Skagit River. I figured if the fishing is reasonable and not as crowded, it would be worth a look.

· Registered
707 Posts
hatchery steelhead now until mid jan. Wild fish from Feb until the closed season starts. Best fished from a sled or drift boat. Spring chinook from June1 until mid July. Coho's from Sept until end on Nov. A very enjoyable place to fish.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the river gets crowded like the Veddar or Fraser. It`s the crowds that drive me nuts. It makes it worst when guys are really just trying to snag the fish. I see people that use bouncing bettys and long leaders on the veddar, some don`t even bother to put anything on their hooks.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I have been there a couple of times although usually just driving by to get to the Methow. It is a very nice system. To add to RLN's comments there is also some good bull trout/ Dolly fishing to be had by fly enthusiasts. There are 2 skagit tribs that are also worth looking at the Sauk and the Cascade.

The Methow Valley is a short drive (2hrs) east over the pass (which is stunning) and has good fishing for trout in an uncrowded setting. Also good fall steelheading.

I have never seen the lower Skagit crowded but I am sure it does become so at times. I think the size of the river will possibly make it more enjoyable on a crowded day than the Ved.

I will be there for a few days after boxing day and will try to shoot you a PM to let you know what I find.

Other than that I can't help much but check out www.washingtonflyfishing.com

Tight Lines,

Pat

PS: It is only 45 bucks for a Washington State freshwater license- all included no stamps to purchase!

· Registered
224 Posts
that washington fly fishing is an awesome looking web site. i too was surprized at how cheap a licence is down there. that $45 is the non-residents price and includes everything - even the required parking pass.

i've wanted to go cross country skiing in the methow for a while now, but also hear it has fabulous fishing. as for the skagit, trey combs writes a bit about it in one of his books. i would like to know if the bank access is okay or if you really should have a drift boat. i wonder if a pontoon would be safe?

dinsdale

· Registered
940 Posts
Bank fishing "successfully" for winter brats is pretty tough. Big water with limited access. If you have access to a drift boat, your time would be much better spent doing a drift.

I personally haven't seen many, if any, pontoons hitting the Skagit. I can't really think of any areas that a pontoon would have a problem however. It is a large river that is an easy float in a drift boat and should offer the same ease in a pontoon for the experienced 'tooner.

There are a few areas people do go for fly water, but with the access for banking it so limited, one could only assume that their time spent is in cramped quarters.

A nice drift this time of year would be from just above the Cascade River and float down to the Howard Miller Steelhead Park. It would be an all day float, but some great water and scenery.

· Registered
407 Posts
Dec Hogan's book A Passion for Steelhead touches on the Skagit and Sauk systems aswell, it is a very good read especially for beginner spey anglers.

· Registered
707 Posts
the Cascade should be loaded with fish when the water comes back down after this rain event for a bankin' it spot. I have seen lots of pontoons drifting from Marblemount to Howard Miller in the past. Not many (if any) from Howard Miller to Concrete. I feel using a sled is best compared to a drift boat on this river.

· Registered
940 Posts
rln said:
from Howard Miller to Concrete. I feel using a sled is best compared to a drift boat on this river.
A sled is the best choice by far, but come late March/April when you can't fish under power, a drift boat is basically your best option. From Howard to Concrete the spots to fish are rather limited. There are a few, just not many.

· Registered
940 Posts
I am not certain about the dolly or "bully" fishing, but with this recent rain, the winter brats that were waiting at the mouth of the Cascade are now going to be up in the Cascade and very fishable here shortly.

I personally do not bank fish the Cascade, I boat the Skagit, but I know several people that do. It will be go time in there VERY soon.

If this rain can hold off the fishing in the Cascade, Skagit and the Sauk will only get better from here on out.

Probably not directly answering your question, as I do not specifically know regarding the bullies. My guess is that there are still going to be so many chum carcasses in the river, it will be good for quite some time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.