BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I find the best way to use the river levels, is to have the program graph the levels for a full year and then you can see the relative hieghts.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Funny, i fished that river July 1 every year for the last five running and have fished it throughout July, August and September every year. July can be a bit high in the beginning at times, but it is always fishable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info prof.... i did that comparison on the hydro graph and the levels really dont change a whole lot from july through late august... a little higher at the beginning but not a huge difrerence... ill check it out and let u know

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Because I just got back from Alaska yesterday, and I'm leaving for the interior on Thursday, I actually can't get away tomorrow for opening day (I haven't booked that kind of brownie points yet), so any information on water conditions before next weekend would be great.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Rode along the Skagit on the way home from Idaho today. It is very high,muddy and pretty much unfishable...Perhaps the upper sections are clearer, but the volume of water today suggests it is likely way too high.......Ortho 8)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I camped in the Skagit valley area this past weekend. Actually we camped on the side of Silverhope :thumbup: whic was nice and clear. buddy and i drove up to check out the Skagit and its high and dirty but did have about a one foot vis'

I will be back in August but maybe before. We looked at the river by Silvertip campground so i have no idea what the Sumallo grove area might look like.

I took a picture which i will post here later or tomorrow(when i have time)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You guys should keep in mind that the Skagit starts in BC, runs through a big lake then restarts south of the border and has exceptional fishing opportunities along I-20 in Washington State. When it flows under I-5 it is almost 1/2 the size of the Fraser and has travelled around 200 miles with thousands of feeder streams. If we are just talking about the Canadian portion, maybe that should be mentioned at the onset.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Skagit is pretty ugly right now. I just got back from spending Canada day up there. We hiked in from Sumallo grove all the way down to delacey
camp and the river is in the trees for the most part. It is dropping so should be fishable soon.

We also ventured back down and around to Ross and tried every nook and cranny along the way but the river is in the trees everywhere.
Up from the suspension bridge looked like the best bet for a short ways, but we were burnt out at that point to do much more trekking.
Basically I would give it 2 weeks before I head back as long as the weather cooperates.

On a side note the upper SilverHope looked very nice and clear but as far as I know is closed till Aug 1(fly only C&R)
Lower SilverHope had a pretty good flow going on but was fishable. Always fun to see if any summer steelies are hangin about! :confused:

Bluesteele

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
heres the pics boys

Silverhope River -- we didnt do any fishing but it was awesome having this in our front yard while camping :thumbup:

Skagit River -- this is the river near Silvertip campground. like Bluesteele said it up and in the trees for the most part so we didnt bother to even try to walk any of it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some years the Skagit is too high to wade and fish easily until late July or August and it sounds like this is one of those years. But early July can be a great time to fish Ross lake and the river running into the lake. Bows and bull trout hold around the stumps and under cut banks. Wooly buggers, olive damsel nymphs, and marabou muddlers are good during the day and there is often a lot of surface activity at dusk, especially where there is some current.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.