BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Went to the Skagit Aug. 16. Very hot and sunny, not the best weather for Skagit fish but good for the fisher. River still more like July levels but wadable. The 2 big S curves below Nepokekum are now gone, leaving some of my favorite holding water high and dry. Few rising fish or hatches in the afternoon but raised fish with a western march brown parachute and very yellow parchute cahills. Probably should have used nymphs but I prefer dries if I can get rises. Around 6:30 surface activity had become fairly active, but still almost no flies in the air. Tried various emerger patterns with little success. Eventually a size 18 elk wing caddis with some sparkle proved quite effective until it became too dark to fish. Challenging walk out in the dark. Mosquitos unusually bad, even bad on the water. Pretty nice day and I think the best days of the season are yet to come :)

· Registered
475 Posts
I'll agree with you there Humpy! The best is yet to come for this stream.

I was there 8 days ago and the levels were little a high for my liking. I actually went for a little plunge after I misjudged the steepness of the bank. I ended up in "past your chest" water! I was lucky to be able to scramble out about 5 feet downstream. I was a little freaked out after that to say the least. Luckily I've got some of my winter weight left so i didn't get too much water in my waders. ;D

But seriously folks be careful out there. Use caution when out in these deeper water conditions. No matter the stream.

I only managed 2 fish on this trip, but didn't try too hard. On bead head stonefly patterns.

Cheers!

-Nathan in NW

· Banned
2,854 Posts
the river is high right now? maybe that would explain why we had to wade through a couple waist deep tailouts :confused: most of the fish we caught were on Prince Nymphs as there was no surface activity except this one splurge around 230pm and they were all infront of me. and i forgot my fly floatant :wallbash: not to mention even though i tried i needed smaller flies as 14's just werent small enough. so i tied on a small hare's ear and bang got 3 right away then it went dead so we moved onto the next run :thumbup: this river has become one of my fav's and now i cant wait to try others like the St.Mary's, Elk, Wigwam and so on and so on.

does anyone get the Bulls fishing nymphs? i havent bothered to tie on a big bunny leech or something yet but will try next time out.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
this time out i tried both big stones and streamers but no Bulls. guess i will have to put on a short sink tip next time to help keep it down :confused: I will wait until i join you for a Bully trip Pat as they seem to be more elusive then the bows' the fishing was slow yesterday to say the least but i did manage one fish on an emerger pattern :thumbup:

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I also had good success using a prince nymph but mine had rubber legs and worked great! Also cought fish on what I beleave was a hares ear nymph. CK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.