BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the Skagit decent fishing around August long weekend? will have my brother down from Kelowna and might hit this one day while he is here :thumbup:

any info is greatly appreciated

OH and what flies are good to bring so i can start tying now? already starting tying some patterns but need to add more i would bet. so far im tying Hares Ears (with and without legs), Elk hair caddis (dry),Elk hair emerger, Stonefly nymph. i figured these would cover most situations but i would still bet there is more to add to the arsenal :cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Skagit is usually prime around then... i usually fish the stretch from sumallo grove down... park there and walk the trail for about 15 min till u can see the river.. from there u can walk and wade for a good 5 km or so... the trail follows close to the river.... tons of great runs and pocket water in there... add some parachute adams to ur box in the smaller size 12 to 16 and some small caddis and midge dries as well... u can also brind a sink tip and some streamers as their are very good sized dollies in the bigger polls as well... the lower stretch of river is great to with road access but youll run into more people

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like Patagonia said, you're timing is good.
Make sure you also have dry May fly patterns. The Blue Dun is the most productive for me. Humpy's with red and yellow bellies, Tom Thumbs, Green Drakes and small pale white or yellow Cahills. All these flies are dries.

Don't forget about the Bulls in that system. Last year we saw more than ever. A size 4/6 bead head leech (green/black with some crystal flash) on a floating line with long leader. Lots of mends to sink the fly and a fast retrieve with the odd pause worked great for us.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Don't forget the pontoon. Camp down at Ross Lake or at Silvertip and you can fish the lake (some very good, large 'bows to be had) as well as the lower river. Both these campgrounds are easily found in your mapbook (Southeastern BC).

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think i will be taking the 'toon Prof because i dont have any experience running a river. had it in some really good chop on a lake already though, so choppy i was getting splashed :happy:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hey James! I think you should take the toon. By that time the Skag' will have come down to a comfortable level. I'm thinking this river would be a good first river to try in the pontoon. Be a man! LOL jk!

Cheers!

-Nathan in NW

ps. Coho soon eh?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes but just cause the water wont be huge it still presents a danger if you dont know what your doing :naughty:

if you hit the CAP its coho NOW!!!!!! (sometimes :confused:) LOL

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
HOOK said:
I dont think i will be taking the 'toon Prof because i dont have any experience running a river. had it in some really good chop on a lake already though, so choppy i was getting splashed :happy:
Ross Lake is a lake not a river.

Nice_One said:
Well you may have to pay Prof to take you out for a pontoon training session on the Skagit then eh?
He doesn't have that much money!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just re-read your post and overlooked that you said lake i read it as lake down river LOL thought you meant 'toon the river down from the lake LOL

I wanna go up there to fish the river not a lake :peace: my goal this year is to fish more rivers for trout seeing as i have only fished the Allouette as a kid :beerchug: and it being a day trip up there possibly might camp the weekend. i think the river will be better cause i wont have 'toons or tubes for everyone involved as it will probably be me, my bro, my girl, and my dad, and maybe a buddy also :confused: jeesh starting to crowd myself out already :wallbash: :wallbash:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:happy: :happy: I would bet our group will be me, my dad and bro the others just never seem to come. however we might just decide to camp up there that weekend (august long)

where's a good area to camp close to the river? and will it be super busy up there that weekend ?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks for pointing out the obvious Prof. even though i said i DONT have the book for the area its in(assuming that its not in region3) so which campground is "closer" to the river or are they both about the same distance away. I see that Silvertip is the first one reached from the entrance to the park.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks STS

so far this trip looks like a good bet unless my brother would rather salmon fish :confused: but then i will just bounce it to the following weekend :thumbup: and go with less people

one question though...Everyone keeps telling me about Sumallo Grove :confused: is there signs up there to tell you where it is? i cant seem to find it.

and before Prof. says anything about looking in "the book" :cheers: I dont have one for this area :peace:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.