BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks

just wondering where to avoid the skagit on a long weekend? is it ever elbow to elbow style fishing? or are there enough honey holes to keep everyone satisfied?

I'm dividing the river up into upper and lower...upper being the sumallo grove side and the lower being below the campsite and bridge area.

thanks!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
this is a great topic :thumbup: cause i have wondered that myself however i havent heard anyone ever complain of having to many people there or having to wait for people to work through a run :confused: g/f and i are hitting it for a day trip on the long weekend

· Registered
1,165 Posts
HOOK said:
cant wait to read your posy Gibbs on how you do your first time out ;D my first time out will be on the long weekend. anyone think it will be crowded then?
I doubt it but I will be enjoying my time on the Bow during that weekend and then off to Cranbrook :thumbup: for some more fly fishing :thumbup:

· Registered
131 Posts
i was there last Wednesday walked from sumallo to the delacy camp and didnt see another fisherman.... the lower more accessable area around 26 mile bridge gets much more pressure, you have to walk and wade the sumallo section which makes you do quite a bit of wading and log hoping... gotta work for it a bit more

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tied up a bunch of zonkers the other night with hopes of getting into some of the bigger guys. are these only on the lower stretch or can they be found up stream?

and...would anyone say the quality of the holes differ between upper and lower?

thanks for the advice!

· Registered
131 Posts
The river below 26 mile is bigger and I think safe to say holds some larger fish... the upper has more of the pocket water that personally I like to fish... maybe smaller fish but I enjoy the type of fishing and the remoteness , the Skagit does have some large Dolly's that you would entice with those zonkers.....

· Registered
781 Posts
Hook,
Seeing as how you are pretty accustomed to the vedder crowds the skagit will seem like a ghost town. Most of the anglers show a lot of respect and etiquette if you are fishing a run. Just be sure not to park in one spot as you will have a lot more fun moving from run to run and this will give other anglers the chance to do the same. Have fun I will be up for a day on the weekend as well maybe see you out there.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Srethy we are looking to head up on Sunday. and im glad to hear it will be crowd free ;D im sure i will see some people out there though. my biggest thing is hoping i can get my girl into a few fish. She barely knows how to cast a fly rod but learns quickly. should i get her to bring a spinning rod with a few lures maybe? just incase she gets mad at fly fishing :happy:

· Registered
188 Posts
HOOK said:
Srethy we are looking to head up on Sunday. and im glad to hear it will be crowd free ;D im sure i will see some people out there though. my biggest thing is hoping i can get my girl into a few fish. She barely knows how to cast a fly rod but learns quickly. should i get her to bring a spinning rod with a few lures maybe? just incase she gets mad at fly fishing :happy:
ya the other guys right Hook you won't see many people because its C&R only. More guys around the mouth and lake where you can kill. Your gonna have a blast

· Registered
96 Posts
Just a caution

A pal and I spent last wednesday afternoon on the upper river - saw one car in the parking lot @ Sumallo - we fished down to the log jam and did ok # 14 hares ear nymph

the caution is - we are both good sized guys and a few times we needed both of us to get across the river - not deep but faster than you think

I do not think one of us alone would have had an a safe crossing . So take a good look and if not sure back track a bit and cross at a safer point.

Oakey

· Banned
2,854 Posts
unless the road has turned bad since we were camping a few weeks back the road was in great shape. some soft-ish gravel areas (in corners mostly) that made us slow down but other then that the road was a good gravel road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.