BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bedhead,

I might be interested in sharing the cost and the experience.

In order to hit the best times of the day, we should leave fairly early to catch the morning fishing on Ross Lake (bring your black and red Spratleys), and stay there all day to catch the evening fishing on the river.

I'll keep in touch with the forum and check my schedule to confirm.

Cheers,

IRBF

· Registered
3,378 Posts
If you are fishing the upper from sumallo, there have been a lot of brek-ins there...watch out for the green van. If you are driving in from Hwy 1 near Hope, the road is rough...4x4 or truck recommended....Upper river no bugs....lower river BUGS!!!!...........consider some bear spray as well.
Ortho 8)

· Registered
101 Posts
I just drove in to the Skagit with my mini van yesterday. It's fine. No 4X4 needed - not even remotely needed. I parked beside a VW Golf, and there were more 2 wheel drive cars than trucks up there. The fishing was ok, not great yet.

· Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, the entire river is fishable and I crossed pretty much at any tailouts. It's clear and low enough, but I've yet to see any hatches, and I've been there 3 times in the last three weeks. I fished from 26 mile bridge down to the lake, various spots. I had most success on an orange and black stone fly nymph, although I tried hard with dry flies and some bead head nymphs too. I fished from about 3:00 until dark. Beautiful sunny days and the mozzies didn't get too bad until after the sun went down.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
what section would be best to try out for a first timer, Sumallo Grove or 26Mile? im taking my g/f which cant cast very well or far but will love the scenery. I want her to be able to catch a couple at least to get her interested in fly fishing more ;D

im just trying to narrow where we should try thats all

· Registered
781 Posts
HOOK said:
what section would be best to try out for a first timer, Sumallo Grove or 26Mile? im taking my g/f which cant cast very well or far but will love the scenery. I want her to be able to catch a couple at least to get her interested in fly fishing more ;D

im just trying to narrow where we should try thats all
For most if not all parts of the skagit long casts are not needed. Both of the spots you mentioned are fine. Take some green drakes with you. :peace:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Thank you for the PM Bronjuan :beerchug:

and i knew that the casting wouldnt be much for distance i just wanna get my girly into some fish so she has fun and doesnt get bored LOL

Srethy i already have a whole whack of Green Drakes tied up. regulars and parachutes ;D ;D

· Registered
781 Posts
It should be in great shape when you finally get out there. A few fish around on the weekend and all very willing. There was a bear looking around the bridge so be careful. Small yellow and brown stimulators worked really well mid day.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
at the advice of a few people we are going to hit the 26Mile bridge area down to the lake. is that where the bear was spotted?

hope i can have some dry fly action but bringing lots of nymphs just incase there is no top water action.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Black bears occupy territories measured in KM's so just because a bear was seen u/s of 26 mile does not mean it will be there the next day or week.

The whole area is bear country, so just make noise in the bushes and carry spray. All will be good. Good luck and I can't wait to get myself out there for the first time this season.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya i know im not afraid of bears but my girl is especially after our encounter with a mom an cub on the Vedder 3weeks ago. let me know when your back Pat and we will setup a day to hit this little gem.

How was your trip to the island?

· Registered
224 Posts
fished 26 mile bridge down. river is in perfect shape. waded across tailouts without problem. fishing was good, but not stellar. nymphs outfished dries 2:1. fish seem to be getting a bit gun shy with the river being pounded over the last few weeks. still managed to get away from the crowds (7 cars at one hole!!! some cars with 3 guys. that equals lots of pressure for a friday afternoon.)

dp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.