BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I was going to catch me some lakers. Fished for four hours Saturday morning with only one strike (lost the fish). And tried agian today for 3 hours with the wife; this time not even a nibble. We tried blue crocs, green crocs, orange dick nite, red wedding band, all with worms and gang trolls and nothing. Saw plenty of fish on the finder but they just wouldn't bite. What am I doing wrong!

Oh well, I'll get 'em next time.

patpel

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are no "lakers" in Allouette lake......trust me...........However, what you were using in the lake would certainly be appropriate for cutty's,'bows. and bull trout......Try lengthening the leaders a bit to 6-8ft. and use fleurocarbon 6-8-10lb. depending on the species..... The lake is clear and cold below the surface and it does not warm much at depth during the year.....If we get a warm spell of weather, fish sub surface to 4 ft. and another line around 10 ft.and you might have better luck.............Tight lines......Ortho

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try trolling lead line on a fly rod. You dont want to be too deep but you need to have your bait/fly at least 100ft behind the boat. So make sure you have about 50-75 ft of mono off the lead line. I then use a mini flasher that looks like the ones you would use for salmon fishing only way smaller. Then use about an 18" leader and tie on a dock spratly fly. Let out all the mono and 2-3 colours of the lead line. When you are trolling go very slow. Same system works on a trout rod you just need to make sure you have on the correct amount of weight.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I then use a mini flasher that looks like the ones you would use for salmon fishing only way smaller. Then use about an 18" leader and tie on a dock spratly fly. Let out all the mono and 2-3 colours of the lead line. When you are trolling go very slow.
Good Luck.
do you mean the dodger style that are about 4" long or an 8" hotspot?

·
Registered
41 Posts
just the little dodger. The wedding band didnt do anything but the rod with the dodger was hitting fish all day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was speaking with a ministry employee on saturday and she assured me that the lakers are not a myth and that people do catch them. And she was doing creel surveys.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was speaking with a ministry employee on saturday and she assured me that the lakers are not a myth and that people do catch them. And she was doing creel surveys.
A creel survey is hardly proof of existence. Most anglers can't tell a large bull from a laker.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive been in BC since I was 10 yrs old, and have always heard that there are Lakers in that lake, Im 51 now and have yet to see a pic of some one actually catching one, hence this is the perfect Urban Myth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts