BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the Vedder Vetrans...I was out today around the BC Electric Train bridge and saw a number of small boats slowly making their way on the river. A few stopped, anchored and started casting. I have a 11' inflatable with a 40lb trolling motor and was wondering if I'd be able to use that safely on that part of the Vedder. I normally use it for lake fishing, but I can see the advantage of having a boat on the Vedder. Also where specifically do they launch from. Distance I guess would also be an issue. Last question if I may, would trolling or anchoring and casting be more productive in that environment?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks a bunch all!

ps. great forum :beerchug:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fly Fishing? Spoons? I would launch just north of the free way on the west side and cruise towards the fraser. Best thing to do is hit the out going tide and cast flies or spoons working your way towards the fraser. Then once you get down there catch incoming tide and troll or cast your way back. It can be very busy but productive. I have a boat but do not journey there as there can be enough boats at times. Mid week would be best.
Cheers, Rob

PS: Also you can park on the east side north of the freeway and go for a walk with you spinning rod and spoons. Cast and work you way down. Early Coho will stack up in there on low tide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used a smaller boat in the canal section and there is a boat launch from beside a water station(I think thats what it is). If you exit at 3 road and go north and follow the highway you will get to it. It can be very shallow there once it hits the canal but once you are out there its not too bad, watch for logs sticking out of the water.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ja said:
Question for the Vedder Vetrans...I was out today around the BC Electric Train bridge and saw a number of small boats slowly making their way on the river. A few stopped, anchored and started casting. I have a 11' inflatable with a 40lb trolling motor and was wondering if I'd be able to use that safely on that part of the Vedder. I normally use it for lake fishing, but I can see the advantage of having a boat on the Vedder. Also where specifically do they launch from. Distance I guess would also be an issue. Last question if I may, would trolling or anchoring and casting be more productive in that environment?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks a bunch all!

ps. great forum :beerchug:
Are you talking about the train bridge in Yarrow? While i've never tried it, i can not see getting from Barrow town to Yarrow in a boat. If you are talking about the train bridge downstream of highway one then Barrow town is the starting point for small craft.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Yes, I would think twice about floating a boat down that canal streatch of the river during coho and white spring season as the banks will be lined with anglers. If your hitting the highway bridge to the mouth, then it's ok but don't get sucked into the Fraser with an electric motor unless you plan on eating some mud and rock. Where the Sumas hits the Vedder on high tide can be really good for cohos on spinners.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have seen two people in a canoe with a 2.5hp motor fish and navigate that stretch of water but it certainly was difficult. Personally I wouldn't head out to the mouth with just an electric motor. You could still have fun in the channel though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah SC, I remember that guy. We were fishing for some bait fish a few years back on the west side and he brought it down there to play with.
I dont know if he just got it or what but he was flyin around there and wham slides the boat into one of the pilings, he and the passanger go flyin.
I couldn't see how much damage he did , but niether were hurt and the boat went back on the trailer and they all left soon after.

Cheers,
Crazy D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.