BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a lead on a smaller diameter pin reel for trout this summer. I've been running my trusty Islander all fall/winter, but with the end of the season (here in Washington) I want to set my sights on the summer's trout fishery. I'd like to start using a centerpin year round, but want to lighten everything up and build a rod based around a smaller diameter pin reel. Will I need to have one custom made? Are there any manufacturers that make them smaller then 4 3/8"?? Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
Keep your eyes open for an older Seldex 3 1/2" dia. I just sold one a couple of weeks ago in mint shape to a fellow to do the exact thing you want to do. Post a WTB ad in the buy and sell section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get yourself a John Milner Manx. its 4" and spins better then anything!!!! It is also one of the lightest reels made.

You will never touch your islander again.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Keep your eyes open for an older Seldex 3 1/2" dia. I just sold one a couple of weeks ago in mint shape to a fellow to do the exact thing you want to do. Post a WTB ad in the buy and sell section.
Ya I grabbed a 3.5" seldex last year for this too, however it does not spin as true as I originally thought.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got a 4" king pin that's pretty nice but honestly, I prefer the islander bcause it has a larger drum. A 4" reel is a helluva lot of reeling during a days fishing.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think some of of the noble replies have missed the mark.:2cents:
I believe He would like a smaller dia. cp for fish in smaller flows.

Fisherforever's now sold reel would be nice.
I passed on a 3 3/4 Super Silex because I knew I'd rarely fish it; and on the few streams I would, I'd probably flyfish.

I don't know who produces newer ones but there are deals to be had on some quality classic CP reels if you shop around.
I don't need one so I don't really pay attention but I do see them and they tend to hang around a little longer because most are focused on the 4in+ for the medium to larger flows.

I did have an older fly reel I was going to muck around with for just the same thing.
Now where is that thing?.....

Good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think some of of the noble replies have missed the mark.:2cents:
I believe He would like a smaller dia. cp for fish in smaller flows.
Based on his question I don't think I missed the mark at all. My answer was based on my experience fishing the smallest of waters for the tiniest of fish for many years. I've used a 5' rod to fish through impossible tangles of roadside blackberries in a ditch that's only 2' to 3' across to cach 5" trout. In my experience doing the type of fishing that he's asking about the larger drum reels are still superior. Cosmetically, a 4.5" reel on a 5' rod looks ridiculous. But for practical purposes it works wonderfully.

I'm not saying that the islander is the best choice as a narrower spool will lower the weight and for the most part very little line is used so capacity is never a factor. A simple way to try the islander with out stripping all of the line that's already on it is to add 30 or 40 yards of 6 or 8 lb line on top of what already on there and try it out. If you like it , sweet. If not you'll have a something to reference when loking for a reel that matches your needs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
[email protected][SUP] [?][/SUP]
flag [SUP][?][/SUP] : miscategorized prohibited spam best ofPosted: 2013-01-26, 6:45AM PST
Drifter 238 Centrepin Fishing Reel - $200 (Delta)

Drifter Centrepin Reel in Mint condition...
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3542999489
Posted: 2013-01-26, 6:45AM PST
email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally!Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram ............this would be about a 3" north american pin wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are great replies and I really appreciate the input. I'm leaning towards tracking down a Kingpin Regency or perhaps a used Seldex if I can get my hands on one locally and give it the once-over before buying it. I can't find any information on a Kingpin "Manx" as suggested by Howat, but am intrigued. It's likely going to end up on a rod in the 8.5 to 9.5 foot range, so my Islander would look bulky on it, and half of building your own rod is aesthetics right? Thanks again all...now to find that Regency.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Only 99 Manx were produced a couple years ago now, you would have to find one used. They are amazing nice and smooth reels though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have nice 4" J.W Young & Sons Trudex II 2500 center pin reel which I used for trolling around the lakes. It great little reel and I used it for float fishing for early coho and pinks too. Try surfing the net on center-pin reel and there place back East sell quite few J.W Young reels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tracked down a Regency

Thanks for the suggestions...and thanks to Little Dipper Bait & Tackle for having a Regency on hand to sell. Blows my mind that they had one in the shop

8476510113_edba1efef6_z.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts