BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose that this has been a couple of years in the making, but I felt that it was time to break the silence.

As some of you already know, 2 years ago I began the transition from male to female. I have received support, and been roundly criticized by members of this forum. More importantly, I have the love and support of my family, my friends, and total strangers.

It's funny, but most medical issues tend to be quite private in nature, but the very nature of my condition prevents it from ever remaining private. Being a well known celebrity chef in Vancouver assured me that my transition would be anything but private. In fact, news of my transition was being reported in the press within 4 weeks of me beginning to live fulltime female, which is a prerequisite of MSP before they will fund the surgery. This was a very difficult period for my family, and myself,

Yes, you heard right, in fact, all facets of the treatment of my condition are funded by MSP. It is a recognized medical condition, with a prescribed course of treatment, monitored by healthcare professionals. It's not a mental disorder, it's considered a congenital birth defect. This fact certainly doesn't stop the ignorant few from publicly expressing a woefully ignorant opinion, but hey, that's another story.

At the end of the day, while it has been a challenge for myself, and my family, humans are a wonderfully adaptive species, and we will survive, and flourish. I do ask that if you have the time, and the inclination, that you follow this link, http://www.transgenderexplored.com/overview.htm and spend a little time reading. With understanding, comes acceptance, and not just for me, but for others who may not have the strength to face the stigmas that we as a society are responsible for.
There is a 40% suicide rate amongst the transgendered community, a fact that should be clearly unacceptable to a civilized humanity.

I intend to continue to feed the insatiable appetite of the press, by opening a new restaurant in the next year, and being front and center in the fight to educate the public about this condition, after all, those who know me know that I never have really given a damn about what anybody thinks about me...

it can be a very useful tool...

So, goodbye ogobogo, with no regrets, and a lifetime of fishing to look forward to, as kaitlyn.

thanks for the memories, with many more to come. :D

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I admire you're courage Kaitlyn and look forward to the same great reports and advice you've always shared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
Welcome Back Ms K looking forward to more of the same reports and stories we're all used to.
Cheers to you,
Crazy D

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Good for you Kaitlyn; I was aware of what you were going through for over a year or so now. Another friend and I who used to come into CP for dinner quite a bit had discussed it when I first read it somewhere.....and both thought the same way with your family etc it must have been a difficult time for you but coming to grips on what was best for you must have taken a weight off your shoulders. I know you have been a bit more quiet on here and was wondering if you were ever going to bring it up on the forum. Good for you in doing so.:cheers:

I definitely look forward to hearing about the new restaurant venture.....CP was among my favourite places to eat on the West side; killer mushrooms which I have kinda "borrowed";) the recipe and make them often....always to the delight of people over for dinner. :peace:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Pippen. I actually sold that mushroom recipe to Browns Social House(s) and they do a decent enough job with it. If you go to Cactus Club, the Szechuan green beans are mine as well... eat your heart out, Rob Feenie!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Takes a lot of strength to post and be open about this.....:thumbup:... congrats to you Kaitlyn on your decision!

Mike
:cheers:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, probably the most frustrating thing is that NOBODY should have to be brave and courageous to be themselves. Seeking treatment for being trans should be no different than seeking treatment for any other medical condition. That's why I try so hard to educate. The more that the public understand, the less courage it will take for those who follow...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts