·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Fuel Burn from my slip to Sockeye fishing, trolling, and return to dock will be approximately 35-40 gallons at cruise.

Anyone out there interested in the run later?

Who is running to South Arm? Anyone? I don't think we're going to see the 100-300 boat days anymore with $1.50 barge prices.

"ticked off" >:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I gave it a go Monday night off Sandheads for half an hour with a green & white glo mini hootchie and a spoon. Didn't see anything that night, but a local whale watch operator told me today that the killer whales were there off Sandheads Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday morning at first light which was high tide. Apparently they were up close to here again this morning, probably eating Sox and Springs, then they headed down around Point Roberts toward Cherry point. I think they eat Coho down there around now.

The wind may be a bit much for the long run this weekend FM. You might be better off trying to get lucky off Ambleside this weekend.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I guess those jumpers off Spanish Bank last Sunday were Sockeye... no sockeye for me. I can't meet the obligatory 20 dummy flasher 10 lines and electroshock to keep the school behind my boat. :drunk: Less people fishing for springs. ;D
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
143 Posts
Game on!!
I'm a heading out to Sandheads, Hooter area, Sat. morning, I'll give it a bang for up to 4 hrs. for sox then if nothing, switch to spring gear.
Will let you all know how we did tomorrow night.
Good luck to everyone!
H/T

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well here's a report if you call it that.
Fished Sandheads, Hooter, to almost T10 ..... zip ....nada ..... zilch !
Dragged sox gear for 1/2 the time, and spring gear for the other. About a dozen boats fishing, heard of 1 good spring. Saw only a few jumping sox, they are not there in ### yet. The natives were pulling in a couple on the way in. Heard of a few off, West Van shore and Hole in the wall. Thats it ... and Thats fishin!
Better luck soon
H/T

·
Registered
116 Posts
I trolled 2 small greenglo splatter hootchies North of Sandheads for an hour tonight 7pm. No bites. Forgot the pink hootchies at home. Lots of seals. Saw only one lobber out there. More heading up the river. Saw one guy back at the number 2 ramp with a nice silver Sock. Didn't ask where from. Half a dozen boats were still out when I headed in. I bet it gets better for a few weeks yet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Went out on saturday morning from macdonald beach and proceed to hole in the wall. trolled for a couple hours and didnt catch a thing. Dropped the crab traps off of the bay to the south of horseshoe bay and only caught a flounder :-\

Went back to the mouth of the north arm off wreck beach and trolled for sockeye for a couple hours... and got skunked there as well
Saw a boat catch a nice spring in hole in the wall. Didnt see anyone have success off the fraser. but then again it was a low slack tide...
Was using anchovies and an assortment of flashers, trolling around 1 to 2mph.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think we all know why no one's reporting success. There's nowhere near enough Sockeye returning to justify an opening. I had a friend who was heading to Port Renfrew with his seiner on Friday. Even he admitted the DFO had no business opening the run for the seiners. He said he didn't even want to go as the numbers weren't really even worth his while to fish. But if they allow an opening he pretty much had to go. The Sockeye returns to the Fraser were up to 23 million in the mid-nineties. The level that is desired for commercial harvest is 8.5 million. This run is likely to number around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 million fish.

The DFO is flirting with diaster again, if river temperatures get too high this summer there could be a very high mortality rate before these fish spawn. River temperatures are already higher than normal. Politics seem to dictate when commercial openings are allowed, not science. Common sense would suggest this run would be better left alone.

This may not be a popular opinion, but with the price of fuel to run to the south arm, you're probably better to give it a pass anyways.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to agree with BIG GUY, it appears to me DFO has 52 different plans for managing our fishery, they are printed on a deck of cards, throw them up in the air and what ever lands on top .... thats what they try that year.
For GOD SAKE and for the sake of all our future salmon runs do something with the damn fish farms and the sea lice problems, then go back to places like Eggmont etc. and rebuild those rivers to spawning beds again.
DFO you have made mistakes in the past and you continue too, fix it now ... for the future of our fishery !!!
PS... this is a non commercial fishery for natives too .... BUT the natives are selling the sockeye for cheapppppp !!! Yet they claim it's for their own food. Whatever, this damn Government has NO BACKBONE!
H/T

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
TheBigGuy said:
The DFO is flirting with diaster again, if river temperatures get too high this summer there could be a very high mortality rate before these fish spawn. River temperatures are already higher than normal. Politics seem to dictate when commercial openings are allowed, not science. Common sense would suggest this run would be better left alone.
You are sooooo right. I can remember alberni inlet LAST YEAR! Why cant the salmon be governed by provincial????? least we'd have a voice :-X :'(.

think if there is anything that should be protested it should be that?

.................An Bigjay...I didnt get that one LOL

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was just saying that it was a show, open the fishery for a few days then shut it down right away so the DFO can say, 'we gave you a shot at the sockeye.' A ploy to keep us happy.

Like the runaway rock fish conservation areas. We've bought into the need to conserve rock fish so DFO can now without much protest put a RCA anywhere and stop all spot fishing - the commercial guys get to fish in those areas.
Have fun, Jason the Cynic

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
And you gotta love this journalism/reporting. ::) ::) ::)

DFO closes sport fishery on Fraser River

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 | 7:52 PM ET Comments4Recommend2The Canadian Press
A decline in the return of sockeye salmon to British Columbia's Fraser River has prompted federal fisheries officials to shut down all recreational salmon fishing on the river, which is already closed to the commercial salmon fishery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.