BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my dad out yesterday for our first ever sockeye trip. Its never interested me at all but my aging 82 year old dad wanted to try it sooooo.... anchored the boat..started casting. An hour later nothing. Two hours later nothing. By this time, dad is resting. I keep casting and casting and casting and.... then the rod tip goes down and starts to pulse in the current. I think I got one but its acting bloody strange. Pump it to the boat..its a freaking stick!

Cast some more and more. Rod goes down again..damn..another stick. Pump it to the boat, mad as hell now. Holy crap dad, its a fish! Scooped up and bonked our first ever snagged sockeye. To make the story of a 3.5 hour fishing trip shorter, we ended up with 4, only one of which actually jumped out of the water...the others did the stick fight.

To me it was the most unexciting fishing I've ever done in 50+ years but dad is 'hooked' and wants to go again. I told him though, if we catch a spring, its going back. I won't keep a snagged spring. I'm funny that way I guess. I have to admit though, that sock was damned good on the BBQ last nite.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know what you mean about the "stick fight". My buddy and I got our 4 in short order-- 2 from the beach and 2 from the boat.
The 4 from the beach ( 2 landed and 2 lost ) jumped and rolled and twisted like crazy. The 2 from the boat came in without much fuss until they were at the boat when they thrashed around a bit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Lots of people out there. Generally a good natured crowd. The odd miserable grump who goes ballistic if anyone gets in his way .
Lifes too short to get upset over a fish,esspecially if its not a giant 35 lb spring!!

Wear your PFDs people,they are not boat cushions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.