BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If numbers stay strong do you think we may see a short season? ???

Disclaimer: I hate people flossing all the time as much as the next guy on this board but only during this fishery do I participate in flossing with the intent of putting putting a few in the freezer for later consumption. :2cents:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
most of us on here will participate in the sockeye fishery only for the reason of eating them :thumbup: thems good eating ;D and if they open it i will be out there. I mean who doesnt like sockeye ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You beat me too it Shane, I never have and never will floss for fish because ITS NOT FISHING.. I really hope their is never a slimball or humppies from hell opening again . This fishery just brings out the meat fishermen..... I have said this before and I will say it again the fraser river floss fishery is a cancer that has spread to other systems faster then wild fire............

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ya well i might go out to get a few but that doesnt mean im tossing a 20foot leader :naughty: and i only go a couple times so how many fish is that honestly :cheers: I dont if you guys wanna say its not fishing because it still is and should stick to the Fraser ONLY it does take a slight amount of skill to BB effectively. and i really dont care if it opens again or not, however if it does i will go out to get a few fish.

how many of you guys that "dont" go to catch them buy them from FN's instead? now thats not fishing, and arent those supposed to be ceremonial fish :confused:

·
Registered
875 Posts
FishFreak said:
open the fraser for sockeye, makes more room on the vedder, and all the vedder flossers can go away
You forgot the :2cents: I agree with that :thumbup: More room for us on the Vedder and more fish that arnt spooked so that we can catch them properly ::) I wish they would also raise the size restriction or get rid of it as there seem to be plenty of chinook around and that will even take more people away from the Ved, my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Kryptonite said:
I hope there is no opening, the last thing we need is to get all the snaggers all giddy about another opening. The worst part is having to listen to how flossing isnt snagging, and some colour of wool is the ticket blah, blah, blah :wallbash:
I always think its funny when a guy thats flossing says "Hey use this color, theyre just hammering it!" ::)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Shane said:
Kryptonite said:
I hope there is no opening, the last thing we need is to get all the snaggers all giddy about another opening. The worst part is having to listen to how flossing isnt snagging, and some colour of wool is the ticket blah, blah, blah :wallbash:
I always think its funny when a guy thats flossing says "Hey use this color, theyre just hammering it!" ::)
LMFAO

·
Registered
334 Posts
Keep it closed, leave them alone and let them spawn. Their numbers are low enough already. :wallbash: It also keeps a little more lead out of the river from all thosen BB snags. ::) :2cents:

P.S. I don't buy fish, even from safeway. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
One of the real puzzles is the guy who says "I don't floss fish,except sockeye on the Fraser." I have heard this over and over again. The thing about ethics, is that often they don't depend on the law. The law allows me to call various races by some rather nasty names, yet I choose not to. Why? Because I consider it unethical. The law allows long lining and bottom bouncing, yet I choose not to. Why? Same reason. If it is unethical for me to use a racial slur here in BC, is it ethical for me to do it in, say, Alberta? I hold it isn't. If it is unethical to floss springs in the Vedder, is it suddenly ethical to floss sockeye in the Fraser/? Again, I don't think it is. Is it legal? If you're going to do it (assuming an opening) there is currently nothing in place to stop you, but don't try to blow smoke up my butt about how you are an ethical fisherman. In my books it just ain't the case. In the end, if you have to work to justify to others (and yourself) that the methods you use are ethical, they probably aren't. :2cents:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well Gentlemen (I use the term loosely),

This is my first post and it seems that considering the title is "Sockeye fishery potentially?", it seems like a lot of ethics on the thread. In any case I did read today that the run size was being upgraded to 2.9 million. It seems like a significant upgrade that leaves some room for hope. At the risk of seeming unethical I will mention that I really enjoyed the fishery a few years ago with my daughters out at peg-leg with a few hundred others. Though I do see the concern for the purists and conservationists. To tell you the truth it was my first year in the lower mainland and I was under the impression that the fish were biting. I have however been educated. By the way, great forums, I'm looking forward to enjoying some good conversation.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The same folks that brought you this upgrade were the ones that were a commercial opening away from destroying a strain of sockeye a few short years ago. Absolutey nothing accurate about their counting and upgrading system, they are rolling dice here.

Sockeye openings do nothing but serve as training grounds for poor fishing ettiquette and behaviours, because some enjoy it hardly makes it sporting, ethical or in the best interests of the fish being targeted or the other species being dangerously unselectively sangged in the arse.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Proff. :thumbup: :thumbup: Thank you a honest definition to calling it what it is.
Rod couldn't agree with you more. It seems that every summer here is a dismal forcast then all of a sudden a miracle happens and the expected returns shoot up and suddenly there is a opening to drive the frenzy. Why not just keep it closed...By opening it are they not just promoting the plague to spread worse and a whole new batch to hit the local flows come this fall.
Cheers,
Crazy D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.