BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't have much luck when out for a couple of sockeye on Saturday evening for a couple of hours ....
This miserable fish scared all the sockeye away from my boat!!!!!!
It felt a lot heavier than the 23.5 lbs the scale showed,my little lightweight rod was begging for mercy.. :?
Not that I'm complaining,,just wasn't expecting this slightly aggressive fish...Just about choked on my water I was trying to drink while retrieving my line at the same time....
I had to laugh watching my son trying to net what he thought was a sockeye....The words that came out of his mouth when the fat tail slapped the water beside the boat just about made me fall overboard laughing.....
His mother would have been less than excited with his one blooper verb,but, he did a great job getting the fish in the net for a little guy....

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Nice one Steve!!!
My guess is, the little guy will learn real quick which expletives not to use when mom comes along!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
hooked about 30 to 40socks yesterday trying to get my spring but no springs!!!!!!!! socks are in full force!!!!!! fishing just below hunter cr...... if ya have a boat you'll get em!!!! no boat no fish from what i hear!!!!!! 2 days on the river hooked over 50 fish no shitalie!!!!! get a boat and hammer on em!!!!! i'm going back fishing!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was a red.....Fisheries boat was circling my boat as I was playing the fish...Set up some big waves that made it extra hard to keep good footing on the bow.....The same Officers were at Islnd 22 when I trailered up the boat....I kept it calm but did tear a strip off the Fisheries boat operator and senior member ...
Did not appreciate the unsafe boating or adding more problems to playing a large fish that I didn't need...
I actually got an apology after they realized the error of their ways....
Didn't want to press too hard or the boat operator might have started crying, I don't like to upset women like that...
She was very pleased to measure the fish and check my license after she made amends for her less than stellor boat handling ....
I think my 14 yr old's glare at her and comment about her having a learners license helped seal the deal..... :lol:
At least everyone parted happy, and learned something .....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Nice fish Abby! :D
I ventured out this morning with FishinFreak for a few hours this morning in hopes of bringing home a little table fare..In a nut shell, the sock fishing was pretty slow in the area we chose..However I was lucky enough to pick off a nice little buck sock which ended up being the only fish landed while we were there..

The kicker in our morning trek was the events that unfolded around us in the water. We were the first to arrive on scene in the AM, but were soon joined by a floatilla of boats anchoring in one long line just a hair off the shore line. All was quiet and not much happening when a fellow below us hooks a fish and proceeds to go through the landing motions. When all of a sudden two fellas in a 14 foot john boat blow right by him hugging only feet from shore taking the inside passage of the row of boats, :shock: :shock: in turn severing this guys line with fish in tow, as he moves to get out of the way. :evil: Of course they laughed when they realized what they had done.. :twisted: I can't even begin to understand some peoples way of thinking. :?: :?

A short time later the armada of drift netters show up one after another about five boats strong to do their morning ritual. Of course they were met with every racially motivated insult you can think of...I can honestly say I was truly embarrassed of the conduct going on. Funny thing is people always want to know why natives don't have a good relations with sport fishers. Deffinately not the way to try and turn a new page....This goes on over the next hour until a few guys get the bright idea to pull anchor and move out into the path these guys were taking. I guess in hope of forcing them to drift the far side of the river. :? Well all that did was force them into the shore line right in front of everyone fishing on the bar...Crazy stuff! :shock: In turn leading to more insulting behavior being tossed back and forth. That all ended a short time later when two young drift netters in a small 14 foot out board couldn't get out of the way in time of one of the anchored vessels. They hit it net and all making quite a mess. Luckily nobody was hurt.

By mid 10AM the bar was deserted for more productive grounds, and we also felt it was time to call it a morning.. Welcome to the gong show. :roll:

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice fish steve :D ! looks like sockeye fishing sucked, but a nice spring is always nice :lol:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sockeye Report

Nice spring abbyfireguy! I'll trade you a couple of sockeye for that fish if you want... :lol: .

Well - I had the last week off and went to Oregon with my wife. We got home on Wednesday only to find out that the sockeye was scheduled to open the next day. So - I ended up going the morning of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday was quite productive - I had two fish by 7 AM, and handed my rod off 5 times to guys who didn't have fish and lost 3 others - all before 10 AM. Friday was much slower - but I did manage to get two more fish with allot more casting. Saturday was even slower and I managed only one fish landed. So - in three mornings I have five fish filleted and in the freezer :) . Thing is - Saturday was the first time I've actually not limited out on sockeye! Hey - I'm not complaining. Hopefully the run will pick up. We'll see. So far I'd say that things are quite slow at the moment...

Bye the way - being in Vancouver meant I was getting up at 3 AM. On Saturday, the bar was full by 5:30 AM. At around 10:00 AM a couple of more guys arrive. These gentlemen seemed fairly experienced (i.e. not "beeks"). One guy squeezes in between myself and another angler. I was afraid I'd hit him with my rod, or hook, and politely suggested that there may not be enough room. He responded by stating that he was there yesterday and it was just as crowded, and that that's just the way it is with sockeye season. My buddy intervened, stating that we were there yesterday and people did not crowd out other anglers. He then went back and waited for someone to leave.

So - to those reading my report - please don't expect to arrive at the river 10:00 AM to a busy bar and expect just to move in where there is no room! It's not fair to those who made the effort to get to the bar. Just because it's "sockeye season" doesn't justify poor behaviour or adding to the "gong show" mentality... :x .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Who wants to help a avid fisherman, yet complete rookie at fishing spots around the lower mainland.
(Spent most of my fishing years on the island, and northern lakes)

I went out with my dad today by hole in the wall, trolling 40-100 feet with strip herring, nothing.
Went over by the mouth of the fraser, found 80ft of water, nothing doing.

Are these sockeye up the river, or do I just have bum luck :(

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
30 to 40 socks

Hey coho killer, How many of those 30 to 40 fish to do you think will survive. Guy`s like you wreck it for ever body else. Catch your TWO fish and get the hell out of there. Make some room for someone else to catch there TWO fish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: 30 to 40 socks

Jim Brown said:
Hey coho killer, How many of those 30 to 40 fish to do you think will survive. Guy`s like you wreck it for ever body else. Catch your TWO fish and get the hell out of there. Make some room for someone else to catch there TWO fish.
Probably all of them!! Unless they have changed something, I think it is still legal to fish for Springs after you have reached your limit of Sockeye.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
coho_killer:
hooked about 30 to 40socks yesterday trying to get my spring but no springs!!!!!!!! socks are in full force!!!!!! fishing just below hunter cr...... if ya have a boat you'll get em!!!!
Coho I'm glad you got your two fish ....... but 30 to 40 ..... why? I got my 2 Socks on Saturday in about 1 hour, on Sunday in 7 casts, and on Monday in about 40 minutes. Bar fished after that and in about 1 1/2 hours got my Spring. Question ... why would you still bottom bounce for a Spring when you've already got your Sockeye??? Bar fishing is just as effective and less harmful to the Sockeye run. Let's see ..... 30 to 40 Sockeye ......... 40 - 50% mortality rate ......... that equates to about 15 - 20 fish that won't make their spawning grounds ...... think about it.

Flyfishin Magician:
Thursday was quite productive - I had two fish by 7 AM, and handed my rod off 5 times to guys who didn't have fish and lost 3 others - all before 10 AM.
So if you had your two fish by 7:00 am .... why would you still fish??? Is it because you were BB'ing for a Spring and hooked more Sockeye ....... bad luck eh??? For someone who appears to be an ethically educated quality fisherman Magician .... why wouldn't you stop BB'ing / flossing and use a method to catch your Spring that doesn't effect more Sockeye. I'm sure the guys who didn't have any fish appreciated your gifts ...... but seriously ...... it takes almost zero skill to floss a Sockeye. Hope you will consider Bar Fishing next time as an alternative after you catch your 2 Socks ....... and let those without catch their own or let the fish through to spawn.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am glad there are people that enjoy bar fishing or plunking as we call it in the states!! We reserve this style of fishing for the handicapped and old people. For most people sitting in a lawn chair with a bell attached to your rod, playing cards, sleeping or whatever you do to pass time is not much for sport or fun. Your opinion is your opinion, don't try to get down on someone who doesn't share it!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts