BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try to time my fishing outings around the Fraser River commercial openings. Does anyone know approximately how many hours it takes for the sockeye to travel from the Fraser mouth to Mission and Hope? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It take on an average 3 days to get to Chilliwack and 5 days to Hope . But the fish are more healthy and the water is cooler, so they swim faster plus the river is low and there are lots of fish and they are competing for space, and that makes them swim faster as well. My guess is they are making the trip from the mouth of to Chillawack in about 2 days. Sockeye swim at about 1.5 Kms an our , thats about speed of you walking. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So, based on an estimated 50 miles by water to Mission, 85 miles to Agassiz and 100 miles to Hope (I doubt the fish travel in a straight line) my best guess will be ±2 days to Mission, ±3-4 days to Agassiz and ±4-5 days to Hope. After a commercial opening that plugs the Fraser with gill nets from the mouth to Mission the fishing just above Mission should begin to pick back up about 48 hours after the closing, and so on. Add another hour or so for each mile above Mission. Oh yes, and if the fish tend to enter into the river on the in-coming tide maybe add the number of hours from the closing till the beginning of the next flood tide. Now it gets interesting. Consider a 24 hour opening commencing 10:00AM Monday 30th then a 12 hour opening commencing 7:00AM Wednesday and probably another opening on Thursday.......well, you do the math for your favorite spot. And by the way, just so we don't allow a glut of fish into the spawning grounds in the Shuswap, why not increase the limit to 4 per person per day next week? Just a thought. My math is not based on any science that I know of.:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks guys. So, based on an estimated 50 miles by water to Mission, 85 miles to Agassiz and 100 miles to Hope (I doubt the fish travel in a straight line) my best guess will be ±2 days to Mission, ±3-4 days to Agassiz and ±4-5 days to Hope. After a commercial opening that plugs the Fraser with gill nets from the mouth to Mission the fishing just above Mission should begin to pick back up about 48 hours after the closing, and so on. Add another hour or so for each mile above Mission. Oh yes, and if the fish tend to enter into the river on the in-coming tide maybe add the number of hours from the closing till the beginning of the next flood tide. Now it gets interesting. Consider a 24 hour opening commencing 10:00AM Monday 30th then a 12 hour opening commencing 7:00AM Wednesday and probably another opening on Thursday.......well, you do the math for your favorite spot. And by the way, just so we don't allow a glut of fish into the spawning grounds in the Shuswap, why not increase the limit to 4 per person per day next week? Just a thought. My math is not based on any science that I know of.:)
Well, I am going to say 3 days to Hope based on what the fishing was like this weekend.
Opened on Weds, closed thurs 8pm, so in 3 days, Sat, Sun, upper close to being devoid of fish.

Actually might as well write the last of the recreational fishery off any how, I just heard there is another opening today for 24 hrs, followed by another 24 hr opening Weds, money talks...BS walks , guess the commercial guys dont really care about the run in 4 yrs, been watching the openings, and the gongshow right from the commercial guys, to the native groups, to the recreational guys, its just a slaughter out there...actually quite sickening, and here we go with another opening on the river...I think I'm getting nauseous

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the plan?

If there are 36-48 hours of Comm. openings this week where are these fish going? Processors are supposed to be at capacity, no ice, no storage and reports of fish rotting on the docks already.

Is there a reason the openings are crammed so tight together, why not space them out a bit and give the processing some time to breathe?

Or is this a race against the Coho that are on their way and "just get as many as possible and hopefully not waste to many before it shuts down", which may be very soon?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quite frankly I don't know what the problem is. Fishing this last weekend was good...not hot but steady. We got 4 keepers in 1.5 hours on Sat and 4 in a little over 2 hours on Sunday and we weren't alone in doing that. A couple of boats around us did the same (or better). Won't say where we were but we were a little downstream of ...... and a little upstream of .......

As far as the commercial fleet getting access to the fish, don't anyone forget that the fisheries resources of BC belong to everyone in BC firstly and everyone in Canada secondly. The majority of people don't fish and therefore depend on commercial fishermen to supply the fish. Sockeye or any other salmon don't belong to sport fishermen. We are just permitted to harvest some. Far and away, most of the fish is harvested by commercial, as it should be.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Happy dogs

Yesterday on the CBC radio was a comentary about the benefits for the dogs having the all unprocessed fish on
the docks grinded into dogfood!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yesterday on the CBC radio was a comentary about the benefits for the dogs having the all unprocessed fish on
the docks grinded into dogfood!
Last year I went down to Pegleg when the Indians were doing their beach seining for pinks. The process was to throw the males on the shore, the females into the boat and the rest they released. I asked them if they were only interested in keeping the roe, they said no. They said they were selling the females to a dog food plant. The males had no purpose so they pitched them up on the riverbank.

I didn't say anything, nor pass judgment, I just realized that salmon mean different things to different people.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It could be a modern way to live in a harmony with the mother nature - go figure!
(no passing any judgment)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think it depends on the tides. I have heard that the fish can really motor by riding the tides, but to answer your question I would say anywhere from 48 to 72 hrs to Chilliwack and a day and a half more to Hope.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How the sockeye fishing will be upper river in this coming weekend ? This might be last chance befroe closing..
river will close until Sept. 19 for sockeye fishing. It will close to bait fishing and all coho retention after this weekend.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
RLN usually has reliable sources but my question is why they would close it after this weekend then reopen it? Am I reading you right RLN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
With 12 hour commercial openings, I wouldn't be too worried about timing your fishing. Some fish will move upstream faster and some slower than average. So if it takes 3-4 days for sockeye to reach Hope, some will be early and some late. There should always be some fish going by.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was out on upper Fraser thursday evening and caugt my 2 socks in 30 mins, no springs though. Commercial guys out thursday. Fished Friday morning and it took me 3 hrs for my 2 socks, I would like to blame the commercial opening and not my bb techniques:::))), still only saw 3 springs all morning

1 - 20 of 21 Posts