BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing talk about the Cultus Lake sockeye in the Vedder, and in my 15 years of fishing that river, I've NEVER seen one. Until today, that is.
I've been watching the government website for the water levels on the Vedder/Chilliwack for the last two dismal weeks, and the recent rain we had resulted in a nice bump of almost 2 feet yesterday (http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH001 )
So, I drove out there for first light this morning to see what was happening.
To be honest, even though that website monitor says it's up 2 feet, I couldn't see much of a difference.

3rd cast or so though, using a colorado blade, bingo. A nice little buck hatch coho. Dinner for 2. (maybe 4 pounds)
The rest of the morning, nothing. I had three different types of roe with me, plus the spoons, and there was NOTHING happening. I saw 4 or 5 jack springs take the air near the end of a tail out though, so there ARE fish in there, but I didn't have any luck.
Then, just as I was getting ready to leave, another guy there hooked into a beautiful silver bullet. Thing was a REALLY nice size, and totally acrobatic! He played it out for a while, then pulled it in close to shore. No adipose fin.
"She's a hatch!" He says. Sweet. Probably around 8 pounds.
He pulls her up onto shore and she's totally chrome. He bonks it.
Then, as he's cleaning it, I notice the ruby red colour of the flesh on his fish. I look a little closer, and realize that ... uh, dude.... there's no spots on that fish. That's a sockeye.
Wha?... he says. "Shit, I think you're right."

Which means, that dude's breaking the law. I know, it's weird, you can keep sockeye on the fraser but not the coho, and you can keep the hatchery coho on the vedder, but not Sockeye (Sockeye in there are going to be from the Cultus Lake run, which are endangered. They're hatchery fish, no adipose, but you CAN NOT Keep them.)

Well, that was the first time I've seen a guy land a sockeye on the vedder, and truth be told, I very likely could have made the same mistake -- as I've never seen them in there. No adipose, looks like white gums, if you're fishing for dinner, hatchery usually equals bonk, but not in this case.

So be careful out there on the Vedder people, the Cultus Lake Sockeye are in there.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Chilliwack lake gets its fish early these are indeed cultas lake fish coming in know. Thats a shame to see one of these fish bonked as there is no excuse for not properly identifiy your catch before killing it. No spots should have given it away right away. Its no secret that the sockeye destined for cultas lake have been enhanced by the hatchery for a couple of years and that you must release all sockeye encountered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find no excuse { other than being blind } for that illegal retention. If he figured it out when it was dead, he should have been able to figure it out when it was alive, clipped or not.......look at the fish, not just the fins!!!!! Just another sad story for us fanatics. What the hell was he pulling it up on shore for, until he had properly ID'd the fish anyway.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Thanks for that Scooby...just to bang home the point once more:

... Sockeye in there are going to be from the Cultus Lake run, which are endangered...no adipose, but you CANNOT Keep them.

So be careful out there on the Vedder people, the Cultus Lake Sockeye are in there.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The cultas lake sockeye run is less than 500 fish I believe and I have seen a person on another forum post a pic posing with a "coho" which really was a cultas sock the other year, very sad indeed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That boggles my mind that someone can screw up that bad. I could see maybe issues with coho vs. chinook or pink vs sockeye (even that is far-fetched) but coho vs. sockeye...yikes

Makes me wonder if it would be better to mark the two differently (hatch coho vs. clipped socks) just to help the idiots out there a little more.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Why are they clipping sockeye? Alot of anglers associate a clipped fish when caught a bonked fish!???
An adipose clip is the easiest way to spot if a fish is hatchery or not, way easier than a max clip and can be done before even landing the fish where as with the max you would have to handle the fish a lot more. Theyre clipped so that if caught in the salt, or fraser theyre supposed to be released. There is no retention of sockeye in the chedder at all and if you cant tell the difference between fish IMO you shouldnt be fishing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it's worth, the other dude that was fishing down there didn't even know what the difference was between hatchery and wild. I had to show him with my coho and explain the scar where the adipose was suppose to be.

His main complaint? That when he got his salmon tag, the store didn't have the reg books because the DFO isn't issuing them anymore. They're only available online now, and he doesn't have internet.

This is obviously an off topic comment, but this new format of licencing: Only online, and regs only available online.. REALLY worries me.
I'd like to see some stats on how drastically the fishing licences have dropped this year, due to all the old timers that can't pick them up at the gas station anymore..... Those and the regulations.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Most people buy there licenses at tackle shops where there is always a stack of reg books... Just another example of why a test should be implemented.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a sockeye rip in front of my when crossing Sweltzer Creek the other night. The fence below Cultus Lake has already counted over 1000 this year, so there are more than a few sockeye in the system. Perhaps it should be mentioned that if your fishing below Vedder Crossing, do not drag your fish up on the bank to reduce the damage caused if you do happen to hook one of those endangered fish.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a sockeye rip in front of my when crossing Sweltzer Creek the other night. The fence below Cultus Lake has already counted over 1000 this year, so there are more than a few sockeye in the system. Perhaps it should be mentioned that if your fishing below Vedder Crossing, do not drag your fish up on the bank to reduce the damage caused if you do happen to hook one of those endangered fish.
Better yet close the vedder untill the endangered sockeye pass through and get on to thier spawning grounds.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Better yet close the vedder untill the endangered sockeye pass through and get on to thier spawning grounds.
So close it from July till the end of October?
Unrealistic, people just need to learn how to identify fish and stop snagging (flossing).
Cultus socks rarely bite, and when they do it is a way different fight then a coho.

·
Registered
419 Posts
let's close the highway to prevent speeding

Here we go again:

-closures and prohibitions for all!

What about a little education? Even more control?

Posters and signs on favorite fishing places would be helpful even for people without internet.

(Next topic: let's close the highway to prevent speeding)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Forgot to ask, did you see the guy's fishing method? Did he floss it?

Perhaps leader restrictions below Vedder Crossing? I guess in an ideal world.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
So close it from July till the end of October?
Unrealistic, people just need to learn how to identify fish and stop snagging (flossing).
Cultus socks rarely bite, and when they do it is a way different fight then a coho.
End of Oct? I dont know about that...how about closed till the bulk of the run gets through! I like the idea of posting signs informing anglers of the sockeye and then throw some stiff fines in if caught poaching to deter the ones who dont know any better.I hear alot about the ENDANGERED CULTAS LAKE SOCKEYE in the news,yet nothing is done to protect them!???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts