BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody up for a sport fishing no limit retention fishery? You see Ernie Crey holds the cards until we load our deck with the same hand and challenge the constitution not the FN. What's there to worry about? Or is eveyone just going to keep complaining. This is the real issue here.

David

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Excuse me but the real issue here is BCFR does not, or will not condone actions or ideas such as this. So don't bother trolling. Everyones frustration is evident, judging by the half dozen threads regarding sockeye and the Fraser situation. Frankly it is starting to wear thin. :p This idea is in no way shape or form pro active, and will only make the situation worse. Welcome to the forum.

Finder

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
C'mon Happeeman, that post does about as much sense and good as your "I vote for the extinction of Sockeye." post on another thread. When you responded "serious bunch here", I thought for a moment ........ maybe just a bad sense of humour.

Thanks for clearing up any second thoughts I may have had.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Happeeman said:
Anybody up for a sport fishing no limit retention fishery? You see Ernie Crey holds the cards until we load our deck with the same hand and challenge the constitution not the FN. What's there to worry about? Or is eveyone just going to keep complaining. This is the real issue here.

David
Happeeman

Ernie Crey holds no cards. He is simply a spokesman for a number of Fraser Valley bands that wish him to speak on their behalf. He doesn't, I know. speak for natives in the Fraser Canyon who are at the mercy of ANY fishing group (including us) fishing below them. He doesn't speak for sportfishermen and he doesn't speak for non-native commercial fishermen on the Fraser. He speaks for SOME native interests only.

He is not the villan. Sport fishermen are not either. Nor are commercial interests. The fact of the matter is...call it global warming or whatever..the fact is, sockeye returns this year are absolutely dismal. We might argue why natives should see opportunities to fish when we can't but thats an old story. I'm not telling you to accept it but its a fact that native people get priority for access to fisheries resources. We can stomp our feet all we like but that is the fact. One day soon, I'm going to tell you (well all of you) my take on native fisheries. I've spent a good part of 20 years working inside and just outside native communities from Rupert to Bella Bella. I think I have a pretty good take on their position..well..its not a position, its a mindset. My typing fingers are willing, but my mind is tired ;)

The last thing we need is anarchy David. Sport fishermen have themselves..err ourselves to blame. I didn't think DFO would do it but they did. They asked sport fishermen to refrain from intercepting sockeye but it fell on deaf ears so DFO took their normal draconian position and closed the Fraser :wallbash: What we really need to do is bring back the 'sport' in sport fishing..hey!..I feel another post coming! :thumbup:

·
Registered
708 Posts
unfortunately, sport fishermen where going to be kicked off of the river even if bb'ing had stopped. This power play by FN's in the chillawack area has gone on for a number of years now that we go first even if we are not retaining the species. It finally happened and be ready for it to happen more often in the future. In the end it's all about the $$$'s , just wait and watch to see if the river opens up in september at all when at worst it should only be closed 5-10 days seeing that pink salmon are already being caught above Rosedale on the Fraser.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
For anyone reading this thread and its initial post, there is no retention of sockeye salmon on the Fraser. In fact, there is no fishing for salmon right now within the closure area.

There is no movement or protest fishery at all monday or any other day, period. BCFR does not condone such ideas, and would like to discourage such talk as it inevitably only fosters attitudes that make sportfishers look bad in the long run. Such statements are irresponsible at best, if not downright ridiculous. In fact such statements are in my opinion the poster child for why the problems that plague our fisheries perpetuate themselves year after year.

As fishermen, and mature adults, (hopefully), we have a responsibility to think before we speak and conduct ourselves in ways that actually help our fisheries rather than make the situation worse. We also have an opportunity to set an example for future generations of fishermen and I shudder to think what example such statements set for our children.

Do not buy into such thought. The old adage that "two wrongs do not make a right", however corny, is more true here than at any other time. Resorting to the very same measures as those we complain about lacks forethought, and smacks of an ignorance many, including myself, wish could be corrected.

Until that day I am sure many here will still find themselves standing on a river somewhere shaking their heads at such ideas and attitudes. I am sure I will in the future, just as I am now.

rib

·
Registered
911 Posts
Rib I agree two wrongs dont make a right. I light of the interviews that global, BCTV and some of the local media have posted we as sportfishers are taking a hell of a beating in the public eye. To stoop to the levels of the few F/N netters that are protesting the fishery would just add more fuel to the fire. To strengthen our position as responsible, concerned group, # 1 is compliance to the DFO order to keep off the salmon, who knows it could open next week. By showing protest by illegally fishing, the media will have a field day with how irresponsible sport fishers are. Look what happened a couple years ago with the last protest fishery not a lot. Second If you want to achive results as sporties join a group like the Sport fishing defence alliance, or your local fish and game club. There can be large organized ,legal protests out side of MLA's or DFO regional offices which will get you positive media coverage. And third be educated. know some of the stats and numbers find out treaty rights and non abo rights in pertaining to the salmon fishery. A calm educated mind is a very dangerous tool Lets see what happens over the next week could be intresting
Crazy D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.