BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Peg on the 13th and was going to bar fish but too many guys bouncing so I joined them. Lost one spring then got into a sockeye. Wanting to do a gentle release I brought the fish close to shore then put the rod in the holder at the back of the boat, as I turned to get my hemastat I heard a splash when the rod holder poped out of the mount and then stood there stunned as I watched my rod and reel get dragged into the current!!! Gone! We tryed to find it by snagging but no luck. If you have to loose a rod I guess this beats having it ripped off or backing over it with your truck, both of which have happened to me. You might say it serves me right for bouncing, but it still hurts! So if you find a 11'6" rod with Shimano Bantam 50 with green braided line, take it home and clean it and give it to a kid who needs a rod more than me or you! ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bonanza said:
I was at Peg on the 13th and was going to bar fish but too many guys bouncing so I joined them. Lost one spring then got into a sockeye. Wanting to do a gentle release I brought the fish close to shore then put the rod in the holder at the back of the boat, as I turned to get my hemastat I heard a splash when the rod holder poped out of the mount and then stood there stunned as I watched my rod and reel get dragged into the current!!! Gone! We tryed to find it by snagging but no luck. If you have to loose a rod I guess this beats having it ripped off or backing over it with your truck, both of which have happened to me. You might say it serves me right for bouncing, but it still hurts! So if you find a 11'6" rod with Shimano Bantam 50 with green braided line, take it home and clean it and give it to a kid who needs a rod more than me or you! ;)
lol. funny. if sockeye was strong you rod probably went a lot down the river, as I think it would float against current while sockeye was trying to pull it

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bonanza said:
maybe someone will hook the sockeye and be amazed of getting a rod together with the fish!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Bonanza said:
maybe someone will hook the sockeye and be amazed of getting a rod together with the fish!!
yeah if sockeye still alive ... probably not ...

·
Registered
517 Posts
nayhkilas said:
Giuseppe said:
Bonanza said:
yeah if sockeye still alive ... probably not ...
true, but this shouldn't be a problem if bouncing...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rod, I presume you'll be barfishing from now on?

:happy:
Nicole

·
Registered
24 Posts
ribwart said:
So Bonanza, I'm wondering...Are you taking this event and others comments here as "signs" and going to buy yourself a bar rod instead, or are you in the market for a new sockeye rig...?
Well, I've seen a few guys lose bar rigs over the years as well.. should they then be in the market for bouncing gear?

;D

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Admittedly, my original post here may have been an over reaction to imfishing's post...I've edited it to better suit his true intent.

imfishing said:
Well, I've seen a few guys lose bar rigs over the years as well.. should they then be in the market for bouncing gear?

;D
Well, well, how cheeky of you imfishing... ;)

Probably not the direction we would prefer the sportfishing community to go, but a clever bit of turnabout to be sure.

My apologies for reacting a bit quickly to your comment in my initial response.

:cheers:

rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yes barskull, it was. However it was also a reaction to what I perceived as a defense of flossing which, in retrospect, having since spoken with imfishing via pm, I no longer believe was the case. Thus I have offered him my apologies and edited my post accordingly...

:cheers:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow this fishing thing has sure become a slippery slope! You can't post about any thing any more with out being judged critized or belittled. Yes I know bouncing is not politically correct and is not my preferred methode, but it is not illegal and it does happen and some times I do it. This time it cost me a $500.00 rod and reel rig . No big deal, I can laugh about the rod, but I can't laugh about all the remarks made by fellow fishers to a guy who has been posting on this site for many years and was just passing along a fish story. I don't have the golden pen of rib or the wisdom of prof , but I try to bring some levity to the site and offer my simple thoughts about a sport that I love. :2cents:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.