BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just talked to fisheries, they are expecting an annoucement within the week about area 20 recreational sockeye opening, keep ya updated cuase there is tones out there, nice size too

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
decided to hold off because the fish are late. they are having another meeting friday july 21st

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saturday july 22nd at 00:01 sockeye is now open with exemption to area 29, next panal meeting tuesday the 25th

time to get some sox

S

·
0 Posts
I remember hearing years ago that sox were often targeted by guys near Polier Pass, on the East side of Galiano. I remember these guys telling me that they would head out half a mile into the straight to a tide line and fish sox. Is this still a productive fishery or has it pretty well disapeared like all other ECVI fisheries?

Anyone tried this area for Sox in recent years?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard those stories as well about guys targetting socs off of Polier. I have heard of guys moving out several miles off of the gap to target them. The other version I heard was that there is a hole half way down the east side of Galiano where migrating salmon hold up. Not too sure what to make of any of the stories though as I have no 1st hand evidence. All my Polier Salmon stories come from a day when you really didn't have to be a good fisherman to catch fish. I would love to see this thread continue though as my trips to Bamfield are getting pretty darn pricey just to catch a salmon. Especially when the "FOOD FISH" is for sale at $10 a fish ($5 after the bar opens).

I can tell you all about the where's and how's of Polier Lings but I guess we shouldn't slaughter them all the 1st year they are open again.

cheers,

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Now that Sockeye in Area 23 has been reduced to "zero retention", does that mean you can't target them for sport? Why wouldn't DFO just "close" the fishery if they are worried about the low numbers compared to their predictions? Seems to me that people will still target them for sport unless the fishery is closed.

Also, I was out at the Paper Mill Dam Park in Port Alberni with the kids and we saw lots of sockeye rolling. When does the floss fishery start there or does it vary year to year as per the DFO notices?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts