BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to the Fraser Valley this year (Langley) and Im looking for some spots to go fly fishing. So far I have explored Stave River, Nicomen Slough and the Vedder River. I understand that fishing spots are special to most anglers but Im running blind at the moment and have no friends who share my addiction to fishing.

I have landed a few Coho but Im not too concerned for what fish Im going for as long as I can be on the water and cast my line. If anyone has any advice on what direction this rookie should head I would really appreciate the help.

Appreciate the knowledge being shared here.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hi Big Rig, welcome to the forum...

As you have already surmised in your post, fishing spots are somewhat special to most anglers, particularly on the world wide web, but also and especially when people do not know the person who is asking. I think that as you put some time in here in this forum and become a part of the community we have here, you will find that once the members get to know you better, your ethics, etc, then they will be more willing to share. I hope that you will stick around long enough to become a part of the community and benefit from this subtle nuance of it.

Having said that, the season is starting to wind down now and you will find that over the next month or so the amount of fresh fish and good angling opportunities for the fall salmon season will become less and less frequent, so there isn't a lot of time for you to earn peoples trust before this season is said and done, so...

...The places you have been fishing are good choices, you also have a few closer to home that can be worth exploring as well if you find you are limited for time in a day and just want to do an hour or two here and there. be sure to carefully check your regulations for closures and/or restrictions though, that's critical before you go exploring any new body of water.

Also, in addition to Sawmill killers advice, which is spot on, a good fishing mapbook will definitely get you started, check out your prospective areas on google earth, it's a good way to explore as well.

Still lots of good coho fishing now, take advantage of it while you can, but don't fret...Winter Steelhead season will be upon us right away too.

Welcome aboard!

:cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate your honesty and knew asking someone to give up a spot would be a long ask. My passion is fly fishing and being able to unplug from everyday life is something that I cherish and will be part of me for ever. Having said that, I will be involved with this forum and offering my own personal stories as I discover this beautiful part of the world. Hopefully soon I will be part of the group!

I assume a backroads map book is something I can purchase at a fishing shop? Any suggestions on which one I should look for?

Have a great day guys.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yes, the mapbook can be purchased at most local shops, the region 2 lower mainland book will apply immediately, while the region 3 Thompson okanagan book will also be a good investment for the lake season, etc...

We have an introductions section as well Big Rig, which you might consider posting in as you look around the forum. it's as good a place as any to tell everyone a little bit about yourself and where you're from.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Big Rig.......welcome! I am pretty much just a saltwater fisher person so can't help you too much. Just got fly gear a year or so ago.....and the only real places I consistently chuck a fly is into my forehead. (Casting is a bit weak...haha)

Ribby mentioned it well......we've been around for a long time and love seeing this little community grow. Fishing spots can be sacred....and posting them up on the Internet can kill your little piece of heaven. We've seen it happen in the saltwater when someone talks about an area to drop crab traps....all of a sudden there are way more floats appearing. God bless the internet!! hahaha.

When you get to 20 posts you gain access to the 'better' reports section....not viewable by any person who has a computer. You'll find more people willing to share in that section.....as its only viewable by forum members who are somewhat engaged in the forum.

Don't let this deter you.....and hopefully it came across in the way it was intended. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
We have an introductions section as well Big Rig, which you might consider posting in as you look around the forum. it's as good a place as any to tell everyone a little bit about yourself and where you're from.
Haha.......whoops! I didn't even look at what section this was in! :eek:

Big Rig.......I rescind my welcome. ;) ;) Hahaha. :peace:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet as, thanks guys. Im gonna grab me that book ASAP. I have an overwhelming desire to post a bunch of random things to get to 20, but I wont, don't want to burn anyone out! Ha. Happy fishing!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The Fraser Valley offers lots of options all year long for almost any type of fishing and method of fishing. So there deffinitley won't be a shortage of water to explore. As stated above be sure to cross reference your findings with the regs in the Fishing Synopsis, and ask away through open board or PM if you have any questions. Trial and error only add to the sweetness of success when it's acheived.

Finder:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts