BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a minute to write these down and put them into your cell phone addy book.

BC Conservation Officers:
1 877 952 7277

Chilliwack Enforcement Office:
1-604 795 8422

DFO Observe Record Report:
1 800 465 4336

As soon as the fishing starts to heat up, and you witness illegal activity, take the time to call in the poachers, snaggers and those who don't give a hoot about our resources. No confrontation required, but if you call, and someone else calls, at least they will be getting a head's up from concerned fishers that this activity is not what we want on our rivers.................Ortho 8)

· Banned
15 Posts
Even if you call these numbers nothing will happen as we saw yesterday. Fishing in the Hope area we saw a BUNCH of nets pulled in and in a few of these sets the number of sox was amazing. Early Stuart fish!!!! More sox than springs!!!! Natives are selling them just above Camp Hope, Weird how this run is supposed to have only 45,000 fish back this year. Sportsfisherman take so much that a selective fishery is justafied??????

Plz explain this to me! Do the bottom bouncers kill as many as I PERSONALLY saw in one set that the natives get before the opening? NOPE~!

Remember even if the natives dont sell these ENDANGERED fish, they will be rotting in the Hope dump or the ST. Elmo dump in 2 weeks!
Unti; DFO gets some balls.
Remember 8$ a whole endangered stuart sockeye , 10$ filleted.

Absolutley disgusted!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Thats dissapointing. No offence to any natives, but just because their ancestors were screwed over, so to speak, doesnt mean that they should screw over our upcoming generations. With only 45,000 expected to return DFO should be doing way more to prevent these things from happening.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Valley Guide said:
Remember this was only in the Hope area. Imagine what is going on in Yale. It is funny when webmasters post warnings from DFO about the Fraser, yet they are a puppet for DFO and have no knowledge of things that actually occur on the river.

A true puppet of DFO with no knowledge or experience posts this???!!!!

If anyone doubts this post go a km and half above Camp Hope look to the left hand side. Buy your fresh endangered sockeye there or at St. Elmo at the boat launch.

Weird how DFO has known about this for the last 4 years and has not done anything about it???
It is equally funny though Valley guide when a member of this forum starts calling people puppets, claiming they have no experience or knowledge, going to the effort of visiting an outside site to quote them and label them as such when in fact Bergler himself also posted this same notice in this very section of our forum...LoL

Now, You and I both know he is neither a puppet, nor is he oblivious to the problem that extends past the context of this post you quote from this other site.

Do you read before you post? These problems have existed for years, just as you mentioned, that is no secret, nor do I think most of the people reading this thread in our forum are oblivious to this issue. The purpose of the post that you quote and the identical one that Bergler posted recently, is to advise sportfishers of how they can take some responsibilty to protect a fishery.

It does not address other interest groups nor does it convolute a problem by complicating it with politics. DFO took the time to inform sportfishers of a stock issue and made an effort to get the word out so that anglers might make informed decisions on how they fish.

There is no disputing that there are many problems with our fisheries, but the context of the message you quote makes an effort to allow us as anglers to take care of our end on our own accord with the information we need to make sound decisions.

They could just close the Fraser to all fishing until this run goes through, that in my opinion actually comes a little closer to achieving their desired goal of protecting these fish, but then you and all the other guides that need to make a living wouldn't be able to fish for a while, that would suck wouldn't it?

I get where you are coming from Valley Guide, I really do, and it is frustrating to be sure, but don't belittle what efforts DFO is making to protect those stocks, just because these fish are being intercepted by nets up the fraser, it doesn't mean that we can come on here and detract from the importance of their advisory notice...

In doing so you give the impression to those who might not know any better that this notice from DFO has no validity...

Also, one other note, regardles of personal opinions, insinuating people are puppets, have no knowledge or no experience because they have posted such a notice is either some blatent attempt to ridicule someone when they are not there to defend themselves or just a sign that you don't really understand the issue yourself.

It is much broader than just first nations, or sportfishermen alone...Don't get stuck watching the paint dry, and try reading some of the posts in this forum before you start bashing other websites.

It's in the website rules, there's another warning for ya...

rib

By the way, Valley Guide, you claim to be a guide, and that you know Bergler and others here, yet you haven't shown the grace of introducing yourself...although I don't doubt you are a guide, I wonder at your lack of introduction...

Is it because you know you'll put your foot in your mouth with posts like that last one and don't want anyone to know who you are, or is there some other reason...?

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Valley |Guide........Did you actually see what was going on, and did you make the calls to the |O R R line as well as DFO?....There are a lot of legit fisheries on the Fraser that most people are not aware of and it pays to know what is going on before you start painting with a wide brush.......Tell me who you spoke to in the departments and their reasons for not taking your call seriously..........Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Remember that Illegal fishing practices are just that ILLEGAL so if you don't think that the DFO are going to do something call the local RCMP detatchment, all illegal reported incidents require that an officer investigate.

As far as the remark regarding how much damage can the sportfisheries do while snagging, think about it. How many anglers are on the river in one day, now if each of them landed one fish and kept it thats a lot of sockeye. Now think about all of the socks that are released after being snagged in the belly, gills etc.... the chance of them making the full return are quite small. So a statement where you state that you have seen more fish in one net than all the fish killed by the rec fishers is rediculous. We are all frustrated by the lack of regulations and enforcement of the Native Fisheries but they are only a small part of the whole picture. An increase in seal populations, warmer waters, BBing, nets, commercial fishermen, pollution etc... are all contributors to the large problem we have with our decline in salmon stocks. It is not just the Native fisheries! Having said that, I believe that the problem with the native fisheries is that the rules are in place but the enforcement isn't.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Valley Guide said:
Even if you call these numbers nothing will happen as we saw yesterday. Fishing in the Hope area we saw a BUNCH of nets pulled in and in a few of these sets the number of sox was amazing. Early Stuart fish!!!! More sox than springs!!!! Natives are selling them just above Camp Hope, Weird how this run is supposed to have only 45,000 fish back this year. Sportsfisherman take so much that a selective fishery is justafied??????

Plz explain this to me! Do the bottom bouncers kill as many as I PERSONALLY saw in one set that the natives get before the opening? NOPE~!

Remember even if the natives dont sell these ENDANGERED fish, they will be rotting in the Hope dump or the ST. Elmo dump in 2 weeks!
Unti; DFO gets some balls.
Remember 8$ a whole endangered stuart sockeye , 10$ filleted.

Absolutley disgusted!!!!!!!!
Interesting rant, but no where do you actually say you called DFO. Are you another one of these guys who stand around and b**** about the deplorable practices on the river, or do you actually do something about it i.e. phone one or more of the numbers Ortho posted. It is often easy to know "what" is going on, solutions are often discovered though by asking "why" it's happening. Try it, you might like it. ;) ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.