BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sleeping in thismorrning I was pumped to go fishing. But no spoons or spinners today,it was time to throw feathers. I at the time only have a 6 wt flyrod and I was sure if I hooked a ho the rod would hold up fine. I started with an egg pattern on a 9 ft leader and a micro shot to get it down! Wasn't more than 5 min I was into my first fish a scrappy 12 inch rainbow! Hooked 3 more fish 2 bows and a beauty around 15 inch cutthroat on a flyrod what a scrap took me into my backing! Even tho it was great catching trout that's not what I came there for! I switched over to an egg sucking leach and hooked even more 12 inch trout. Nice for a beginner fly guy! And just befor 10 this morning I got what I came for doing a fast retreave something smacked the egg sucking leach hard! After 4 huge runs and into my backing twice I finally tailed my first coho of the season looked to be around 3 pounds. After a quick revival off she swam. What a great feeling and a good morning of catching! CK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
good job ck! It's nice to see that kind of action on a fly! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fly fishing is a lot harder than people think! At one point when playin the coho my fly line wraped around the reel while the fish was making a run. I thought for sure my leader was going to snap! Well I'm gonna go again tonight for the night bite! I now have coho fever on the fly gotta love it! CK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
just came back from dart and tackle and they have a count of 5 Hatchery fish today! I just may be out in the canal tonight myself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
When river fishing for salmon you dont need 9 foot leaders. I know your new to this so I am just going to tell you that all you need is 3 -4 foot leaders. You dont want to run the risk of flossing them.

Sounds like you had fun :beerchug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
PumpingIron said:
When river fishing for salmon you dont need 9 foot leaders. I know your new to this so I am just going to tell you that all you need is 3 -4 foot leaders. You dont want to run the risk of flossing them.

Sounds like you had fun :beerchug:
He was fly fishing. Thats the standard leader length for the fly. Nothing wrong with that at all. Sounds like you had fun CK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
318 said:
PumpingIron said:
When river fishing for salmon you dont need 9 foot leaders. I know your new to this so I am just going to tell you that all you need is 3 -4 foot leaders. You dont want to run the risk of flossing them.

Sounds like you had fun :beerchug:
He was fly fishing. Thats the standard leader length for the fly. Nothing wrong with that at all. Sounds like you had fun CK.
Actually with weighted flies it is best to go with a shorter leader, gets it down faster.. Longer leaders are normally for dry fly fishing or for fishing cronnies. I use long leaders too though so I'm not gonna say too much. Flossing would be pretty hard to do on the Vedder anyways with a fly rod unless you are purposly trying to do it. Most of my hits come when Im stripping in anyways :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
coho_killer said:
After sleeping in thismorrning I was pumped to go fishing. But no spoons or spinners today,it was time to throw feathers. I at the time only have a 6 wt flyrod and I was sure if I hooked a ho the rod would hold up fine. I started with an egg pattern on a 9 ft leader and a micro shot to get it down! Wasn't more than 5 min I was into my first fish a scrappy 12 inch rainbow! Hooked 3 more fish 2 bows and a beauty around 15 inch cutthroat on a flyrod what a scrap took me into my backing! Even tho it was great catching trout that's not what I came there for! I switched over to an egg sucking leach and hooked even more 12 inch trout. Nice for a beginner fly guy! And just befor 10 this morning I got what I came for doing a fast retreave something smacked the egg sucking leach hard! After 4 huge runs and into my backing twice I finally tailed my first coho of the season looked to be around 3 pounds. After a quick revival off she swam. What a great feeling and a good morning of catching! CK
Good to hear you had a good day CK!!

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The water I was fishing is very difficult to fish because all the structure. And next to impossible to floss this system! Going again afterwork today I have the fever! CK
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top