BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
I have a Northstar 6000i multi and a stand alone Raymarine Fishfinder (I'm not too impressed with the fishfinder) I am looking to upgrade and don't know whether to go with a stand alone Lowrance or a Simrad blackbox to interface with my network.

Any advice on which would give me a better fishfinder ?

Are the networked units better and higher quality?

Thanks for any info you can provide. (I need all the help I can get with fishing ;-)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not sure on what your calling blackbox?
The only sounder module you can interface with the 6000i is the NS 491 sounder module and they havent made them for many years (I run one with my 6100i unit years ago and was not impressed, I think your little ray unit will work better ) so the only option would be find one on ebay or...........?
None of the other black box sounder modules will work with your MFD.
You will either need to go with a stand alone sounder or upgrade to a new MFD and use their sounder module.
An other option is to go with one of the all in one units Simrad/Lowrance/Raymarine and Garmin all have them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
313 Posts
The BSM1 is a great sounder but............I'm sure its not going to work with your 6000I
Its misleading but all Navicos legacy products on their website have a replacement listed but new models rarely talk to old ones and your 6000I was built before the Navico meld.
Make sure you call their 1-800# and ask to confirm before laying down the cash.
As for your question the stand alone and BB modules are generally comparable with the exception of the new CHIRP modules.
So far CHIRP hasn't been marketed as a stand alone but its relatively new.
MDF screens with add on modules seems to be the way the market is trending.
I prefer not switching thru screens for info so I have a dedicated screen for each the radar and chart that are networked but my sounder is a stand alone furuno unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts