BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the pinks'll be arriving in the duncan, victoria area, I've heard soon but being my first year on the island I'm a little unsure as I've not seen any signs yet. Any info would be great,

Clayton

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Heya Clay...I've been asking around lately, received some great info from some of the members here, and friends on the island...Reports have the odd fish showing up around Nanaimo now and getting caught there, but nothing to get excited about yet. For decent numbers of fish it seems you need to go a bit further up the coast around Nile creek...anything south of that seems somewhat sparse of fish right now, but they are trickling down.

Shouldn't be long before they are thick in your neck of the woods...keep stalking those beaches!

Hope that helps,

rib

:cheers:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, I will be heading up to Cluxewe next weekend for a week, but was hoping to wet my lines before that but i guess not, i'll keep looking tho and post any luck I get,

Clayton

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've started to keep an eye on Cherry Pt. and Cowichan Bay. I'm hoping the earlier arrival at places like Nile Cr. bode well and we'll see pinks finning off our beaches any day. That said, my first free opportunity, I'm heading up the island, perhaps as far as the Eve...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked Cherry point today and saw nothing, was windy but in the hour i was there i didnt see a single jumper or get a single bite, aside from the few bullheads and a flounder.

Clayton

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pinks

Anyone know when the pinks'll be arriving in the duncan, victoria area, I've heard soon but being my first year on the island I'm a little unsure as I've not seen any signs yet. Any info would be great,

Clayton
Unfortunately the pinks run and are plentiful only in odd number years in the southern coastal areas of BC ( like Duncan and Victoria) so you will have to wait until next year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been wrong before, but, I'm pretty sure that pinks were stocked off Duncan and their appearance is anticipated this summer, much as last. Anyone out there with the facts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Was up Island a little way at the weekend, Oyster estuary is worth a look- swerve Campbell River, it's a gong show that would make the Vedder blush. Heard Nile Creek is pretty good too. Was nice to get my first few Salmon on the fly rod and a nice big cutty as well. Would love to get further up in the next couple of weeks,
Nick

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well whitewater, I'm in the cowichan fly club and we stocked the bay the last few years, and we should be expecting a good run based on survival rates from last years run after the stocking program, and after talking to all the local tackle shops while stocking up for my own trip up north, they're getting ready for a huge run bigger than lasts that should be showing up any day now.

Clayton

·
Registered
58 Posts
That was what I had been led to believe, Clayton, thanx for the input. I'll have to look-up the Cowichan Fly Club... sometimes I'm so out of touch, I'ld swear I live under a rock (probably, a few women out there who believe I do). I'ld be very interested in participating in a group focused on contributing to that which we dearly love, our local waters and fishes. Do they have regular meetings, tying nights, volunteering in enhancement, clean-up, watershed restoration? What are the details, Clayton?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well meetings are every first and third thursday of the month, first being a buisness and event planning meeting, third being the activity meeting. Its at the old cadet hall on gibbons road on the way to lake cowichan from Duncan. Ted Brookman runs a fly shop in Chemainus and he brings his store to the meetings so you can purchase anything you need for tying and gear. I'm fairly new (4 months) but they do host volunteer activities such as the annual kids fish days at chemainus lake you may have heard of. A few of the members are involved in other salmon restorations i believe (dont quote me) and there are many group outing like the trip to cluxewe resort for the next two weeks. Lots of good people and good info. I'm not sure if there is a meeting tomorrow so i will check with Ted and let you know,

Clayton

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice fish, cant wait till sunday to head up north island, leaving at 4 am so should be fishing at around 11, and Cowboy, I checked and there isnt a meeting today, ill PM you when i find out about the next meeting

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fished a few of the beaches in Royston on the weekend and flyfishing was fantastic. Fishing was fairly steady when I was able to locate the schools, and I didn't hook any while fishing blind although I didn't put in much time. Scenery and weather were incredible there, which made it enjoyable to walk along the beach while scouting for the the next school of pinks to pursue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts