BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on vacation in Qualicum Beach, I did a walk-on ferry trip to Horseshoe Bay where I was picked up by my friend Andrew. We headed to Agassiz for our annual pilgrimage to a Fraser River bar to partake in the annual "Flosseye, her Sockeye Harvest." I was looking forward to doing a little bar fishing as well with my new 12 foot heavy casting rod. I knew this was not going to come to fruition as my other buddy Bill said we were headed to Spaghetti. I have heard a lot about this bar and was eager to see it myself.

We boated from the launch by the Fraser River Lodge in Agassiz amongst the hundreds of wealthy Americans on jet boats, most of them with hired guides I suspect. I was not aware that one could even launch a boat from this location but I guess more launches open up as the water level goes down. We were in an old 14 foot aluminum with a15 HP Evinrude packed full of camping gear. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies moving into town - but we didn't care. This was a low budget trip. We knew we would be into the same fish as the guys spending hundreds of dollars. We crossed the river to the bar to find about 30 boats beached, each with 3 to 4 "anglers" long cast bottom bouncing for springs or casting closer to shore for sockeye. We pulled up to clearing on the lower portion of Spaghetti Bar on shore so as to avoid people fishing and set up our tents on a level piece of ground. Soon after we noticed a trail behind our tents that was littered with toilet paper and human feces. Nice. We moved the tents to another location, this one not too level but we were prepared to sleep on a slope as opposed to "Shit Alley." We started fishing and for an hour we had no action. We looked up the bar - lots oif people landing fish, we looked down the bar, same thing. But in the mid portion of the bar? A ghost town! So we waited for some boats to leave and we moved to the lower bar and soon my two buddies limited on sockeye by 9:30 pm and I got the big goose egg. "What did I do to deserve this?" I wondered. Oh I know....the guilt trip my wife left me with as I headed out the door on another fishing trip....that must be her revenge. Then it started to rain heavily as we got ready for bed. Insult to injury I thought. Oh well, there is always tomorrow I thought as I drifted in and out of sleep for the next 6 hours in between starnge animal noises, strange human noises and annoying phone calls from our intoxicated friends back home who wished they were fishing but had to work.

Bright and early the next morning at 4:30 I awoke to the sound of half a dozen boats jockeying for the best position on the bar. We got up, made a fire, ate some breakfast and chatted with our neighbours for a while. We started fishing and I made my fist cast and "thump" I had my first sockeye on.

Soon after my buddies started seeing lots of action wile my rod seemed to just die. Geez I thought, might have to go to a 16 foot leader instead of the ten footer I was using :wink: They both had their two fish by 10:00 am and I was still waiting for my second when I hooked a spring. It took out quite a bit of line and the head shakes were heart pounding. After a minute with no line retrieved we fired up the boat and just as I was about to get in, snap! The freight train was off. I reeled in my line it had come off above the swivel!!!!! :twisted: :oops: Could have snapped the 25 pound Maxima Ultra Green or it could have been a poorly tied knot. I am not sure. Soon after we noticed a lot of boats floating by with springs on and then the guy next to me landed a 16 pounder from shore! We kept on fishing and sure enough both my buddies are into one each at the same time! Unfortunately, both came unbuttoned. There must have been a wave of springs going through at that time because it seemed like everyone was hooking them. We fished for another hour and took 12 fish home with us (4 each for two days) but no springs.

It was a good experience and it was good to explore this bar as it was a first time for me having been to Peg Leg, Scale, Bowman's and Herrling in previous years. Those of you who fish Spaghetti, why is the mid portion of the bar not as prolific? I suspect it is because folks can't get a decent "bounce" there because of bottom structure of the heavy volume of fast moving water?

Until next time, BGM

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So we waited for some boats to leave and we moved to the lower bar and soon my two buddies limited on sockeye by 9:30 pm and I got the big goose egg. "What did I do to deserve this?"
There must have been a wave of springs going through at that time because it seemed like everyone was hooking them. We fished for another hour and took 12 fish home with us (4 each for two days) but no springs.

Amazing ....

Day 1 ............... Zero = No Fish = "The big goose egg."
Day 2 ............... ???????????
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Day Total: "took 12 fish home with us (4 each for two days)"

Last time I read the regulations ....... 2 fish per day 0 plus ? = 4 ?????? answer: 4

So you are stating in public forum that you caught 4 fish on day two ......... not a smart thing to do. Too bad you moved the tents ....... IMHO you deserved to sleep in "Shit Alley" as you called it.

GOFISH 8)

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the courteous reply GO FISH. I spent a lot of time trying to put together a decent post but neglected to consider the fact that some people can't wait to jump all over a fellow angler because they didn't include every single detail. I should have clarified. On the first day I did "land" two sockeye. Andrew hooked them after he limited out and was fishing for springs and he handed the rod to me. Is that not legal? I would rather keep his fish than catch and release sockeye as it is difficult to do while keeping them in the water. On day two, I hooked AND landed (with my own rod) two fish.

·
Registered
176 Posts
W T F is up with all the self-rightous critisism on this board.
Worse than a bunch of old ladies.
Shut up and fish

·
Registered
956 Posts
fishhog said:
W T F is up with all the self-rightous critisism on this board.
Worse than a bunch of old ladies.
Shut up and fish
fishog, being from Lynden do you fish the Nooksack with much success? That river used to be fairly decent many years back, do you think that the fish just stopped coming because they didn't like the river or because of inadequate fish management? My point is, if people don't care and sit back while they "Shut up and fish", other river systems could become just as non-producing.

I don't think people are being self-righteous, I think members just want to get others to be more aware and to learn to give a damn.

·
Registered
550 Posts
No need for the personal insults here guys.The original post wasn't clear re: who caught what when.If your not clear expect people to call you on it. I thought it was an honest report on his experience on the river. Like it or not handing off your rod is not illegal..Unethical thats for you to decide.

-RC Wondering why the sockeye fishery gives "sportfishing" a blackeye :evil:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sorry Royal but look at his post again ........ and I believe his initial report was accurate he just realizes his confession is all ........ zero fish the first day "skunked" ...... but took home 4 each ........ that means 4 fish caught the 2nd day. I don't care if they were caught by his rod or his buddies. I personally don't have a problem when people pass a rod off to a friend (or two even) ........ a whole fish begging crowd or all the kids in the neighbourhood is another thing ......... catching 4 fish in one day (to take home your 2 day possession limit) when the daily limit is 2 is illegal. That's my point. And yes ...... I'd report him ......... don't care where he is from.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just joined this forum recently with high hopes that it wasn't like all the others... there are still too many ( ethical) fishermen here.. being smart and overdoing it are two very different things.... some people need to lighten up some methinks :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thrasher said:
Thanks for the quality post. I would say, all of our problems are solved now. Whew!
see the thing is people like Big Green Machine aren't the problems and I don't think it is fair to jump all over him!!!
go to the Vedder and look at the beeks snagging at KWB those are the problem... go jump all over them, I will join you !

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
people like Big Green Machine aren't the problems
Now that's puzzling ........ are you saying that it's okay to take more that 2 Sockeye per day when it is against the fishing regulations ....... but the Keith Wilson crowd (however unethical) is not okay even though there isn't a specific fishing regulation against that???? I agree ..... they are both not ethical ........ one is also illegal.

GOFISH 8)

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's okay to take more that 2 Sockeye
I guess it comes down to trust. I agree that if a post is not clear on details and the regulations appear to be in question then by all means - hold the person responsible! They are either inexperienced, ignorant of the regs, in a rush when writing their post, inadvertantly leaving out details, or choosing to blatantly disregard the regulations. There is no excuse for not being aware of the regs or choosing to disregard them and strong words are warranted. However, it is not helpful to anybody when a person insults someone who has legally kept 4 sockeye in their 41 years of being on this planet (I rarely keep any fish and I fish a lot).

My buddy caught 2 sockeye on the first night. He changed his leader to fish for springs. He hooked two more sockeye and handed the rod to me to land the fish. Is not OK? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
splitting hairs

It seems this board spends the majority of its time splitting hairs over the type of gear used, the intention of other anglers, and what is ethical on a day to day, species by species account. Is it not true that fish cease to feed during the spawn? That aggresion strikes or some sort of memory response is all we are really getting? When I guided in Alberta it was illegal to fish with no hook attached. Its considered wildlife Haresment and is therefor against the law. In my not so humble opinion it is just as unethical to catch salmon period while they are on the spawn. It doesnt matter how they are caught or released it is still an abuse of our resource. Granted there is alot of abuse going on in this industry but the fingerpointing amongst semi ethical fishermen acomplishes nothing at all. No one is more ethical that anyone else because we are all fishing for the same spawning fish. Give the high road a rest and take a kid fishing and watch his face when he sees someone else catch a fish. He doesnt care who caught it just that it was so cool seeing a fish caught. Then hook him a fish and let him reel it in and go through the agony and arm cramps. It is the reason I now fish because its fun. I dont care about the meat i just enjoy the fun of catching and the commraderie of like minded people. Apperantly only the a__--__s in Alberta still know what fun fishing is. SAD

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.