BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this over on SFBC.....and as the topic was being discussed over here I thought I would post it up.

http://sundslodge.com/blog/

New local halibut record- caught and released at Sund’s Lodge

June 10th, 2010

Lodge guide Geoff Duddridge had quite a thrill last week while fishing in Queen Charlotte Strait. Geoff was doing some pre-season fishing and exploring one of the favorite Sund’s Lodge hali holes when he dropped his spreader bar down 300 feet with a pink salmon head on the hook for bait. The guides often joke about pink heads being the perfect bait for the BIG HALIS and Geoff had saved pink heads from last August in his freezer all winter for the express purpose of fishing halibut this spring.

hali-1.jpg

The fishing was actually slow at the spot and he, his father Jim (also a Sund’s Lodge guide) and friend Mike were discussing making a move to an alternate spot when Geoff’s rod bent over. Geoff knew it could only be 1 thing: the trophy halibut he had been dreaming about.

hali-2.jpg

After over 30 minutes of fight, the halibut slowly surfaced. Geoff maneuvered the fish beside the boat and Jim got the measurements: 81″ inches long which translates to 287.8 pounds! After getting the halibut beside the boat and taking measurements and photos, Jim was able to release the halibut without any complications and the halibut promptly swam strait back to the bottom. Geoff, exhausted and thrilled by the experience, knew he would rather this big fish stay in the ocean to keep spawning instead of seeing it hang on a scale. Decisions like this, made by Geoff, are the right ones to take and ensure we’ll be able to catch halibut for a very long time. Congratulations Geoff- your fish is the largest we’ve heard of in the area in over 10 years and is truly the fish of a lifetime!

hali-31.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Right on good scrap and the old girl gets to lay more eggs... Nice to see photos thats what sports fishing is all about,

Tight lines

Bret

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hell....even if he wanted to kill it, it wouldn't fit in his boat. If he tried to pull it on board,someone woulda had a broken leg.

No disrespect meant to his feat and his decision.

Congrats Geoff, Helluva fish and "she who fights and swims away, lives to fight another day"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Right on geoff you just made a ton of younger fisherman very happy that you released this magnificent fish, and I thank you personaly, as I to love to fish for the halies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts