BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had the opportunity to fish for a few hrs this afternoon so I headed down to the Stave to look around. I grew up fishing this water and like many of you in this community I have witnessed the increased number of anglers on this system. Unfortunately today I witnessed the most disrespectful/inappropriately behavior. Upon walking down the “stairs” from the Ruskin rec site there was a man “fishing” in the spawning channel. He was dropping his line upstream and ripping his gear through the fish. I got to him within two casts and informed him that this is not appropriate fishing methods, there’s lots of water to fish, and that the channel is a spawning channel. He acted as though he did not know and thanked me for informing him and he then moved to the main flow to continue ripping. After this I proceed to make a few castes into the bowl. I looked over my shoulder to see another guy wading into the spawning channel with a bungee spear and his daughter on the shore with a big old net! Well, I packed up and walked over to the guy and asked him what he was doing. “looking for salmon” he said. After a short conversation in broken English with me politely informing him that his behavior was illegal and that the 200 other anglers watching him would agree with me he came out of the water and walked back towards the main channel. He still had his “spear” and net out so I made a call to the RAPP line. I walked around a bit more to see if other anglers could use some advice. Lots of questionable methods being used. It was nice to see two Officers arriving as I was driving out. I’m sure half to anglers would pack up and leave once they noticed that fisheries had arrived.

I informed a few anglers that it is illegal to fish in the spawning channels. I can’t recall reading anywhere, are they legally off limits?

I only talked to a few people but I figure every bit of knowledge helps. I hope these questionable anglers don’t find some of the smaller tribs I enjoy fishing.

·
Banned
935 Posts
yeah i would like to know if the channel is off limits to fishing also be cause i usually walk way up there to fish and ill admit i enjoy fly fishing this channle and have done it fo ryears and no one has ever said anything as for the gong show up there today dear god i think there is going ot be alot of sick people this week there were some nasty ass fish kept today

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
yep it's a real show in there.

I would hope that the spawning channel is off limits; however, you'd think with all those other signs there and given the popularity of that spot, there would be some sort of signage around the channel.

How many of those boot chums people keep make it home, only for them to realize that flesh is literally falling off the fish already. The unfortunate next stop is likely the garbage can.

Speaking of sweet set ups, I saw a group of people show up with some deep sea gear. The guys reel was about the same size as my head (I have a fat head, too). O0

My mind is perpetually boggled by the people that come to the rivers at "salmon time".

I gotta get over this. Seems like I can't rant enough!

·
Banned
935 Posts
i had this one person come rigiht beside me cast hook my line then give me shit for it i was not impressed liek you come into my two feet of fishing space i ahve then cross my line the get pissed off at me give me a break i thinks it funny as heck to see some of the rods that make it into that river lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was fishing the main river last year and an RCMP officer came around checking for licenses and single barbless hooks. I asked him about the spawning channel (since I had seen people fishing there) and unfortunately it is legal to fish there. Probably best to talk to fisheries and ask them to close the spawning channel.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
First off I don't think I could handle watching what goes on there (we do occasionally fish just in the stave) but we have been told to stay away from the bowl there - so we go NO WHERE near that gong show! ) - I would probably end up in a nasty argument with someone and I know THAT would ruin my day! I go fishing to relax and to witness that would be very upsetting! I think it's great they ARE getting HEAT from others - especially if there are a few to back you up! I don't think it would be smart to be alone and get into something cause you could end up hurt. Hopefully a few more will be properly educated!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The bowl is a good place to fish first thing in the morning. That is where I always start my day when I fish that river, but as soon as the gongshow shows up I pack up and move. The stuff people see on the Stave is no different then what you see on the Vedder, except that on the stave it is more concentrated because it is such a small system.Yes it is concerning and education is key but the best thing to do is phone the RAPP line. The response from the CO's is much quicker this year as they have opened a new office in Maple Ridge so that they no longer have to come from Surrey like in previous years. I also think that more complaining needs to be done to fisheries about the questionable fishing methods that are still legal. But you also have to remember that this chum fishery is a money grab for the government in lisence sales just like the sockeye used to be. Why do you think they release so many chum from the hatcheries.

·
Registered
151 Posts
well it used to be that chum and sockeye were commie stock, that is partly why the hatchery releases so many.

The other reason is that chum are cheap to raise, as they head straight to sea as fry... Same goes for those white springs.

Coho and steelhead are more expensive, as they need to be reared for a year in the hatchery.

Cheers,
Nicole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.