• Switch Rod

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm assuming what you're really asking is the following:

For each of us. based on our own circumstances, if you could only buy one all-round spey rod what length would it be?

I'm only a handful of years into casting double-handed rods, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but I chose 13' because it's short enough to still be able to fish small(er) flows, while being long enough that I can cover big(ger) water. I would probably have it be a 7/8 weight if I had to choose that as well.

I currently own a 12'6" six-weight for smaller fish and rivers, and a 13'6" 8/9 weight for bigger fish and rivers. I could probably manage both with a 13' rod in a pinch.

To me a 13' 7/8 weight rod is the spey equivalent of a 9'6" six-weight single-hander for fishing here in BC.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My 1307 LS2 gets the most use, my first spey I bought blind maybe 7 years ago still my favourite after buying and selling many more.

But to answer the question I would probably grad a 12'6 if I were to buy a new one. It is a length that has intrigued me and I have only casted that length a few times. It would also fill a hole in my arsenal (12, 13, 13.6 and 15 footers).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a 12' Pieroway Metal Detector 2 years ago. It is perfect for coho and steelhead. I like the rod a lot, and it seems to cast really well for me, especially after nipping back a bit of the shooting head. I have put in very long days without much arm fatigue.

·
Registered
694 Posts
13'6" was my choice, probably around an 8wt. I currently have a 12'6" med. 8wt and a fast 14' 9wt for most of my river fishing. I've got a couple others, but if I was going to pick one size I'd say 13'6" is a good all around rod. Now if we were talking a specific flow or species that answer may change.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Same rod I have. I love it. Beach fish for coho, pinks. Landed some bigger fish up in the Kitimat this summer. Not something I'd target springs with.

My 8136 Z Axis gets most of my water time···i find its the perfect length and action for tossing those lines on big and medium sized water.

Finder

·
Registered
587 Posts
I ran 14' 9 wt as my first and it covers any species in a decent size river that I target (though rather heavy for trout)... I find that the height of the rod would change depending on how high that tip needs to be to cast the line matched to it in your typical situation. If I am up to my chest i need every inch to get a decent cast. Then I would match the weight to conditions and species.

Like most things having a couple options is beauty if you can. I would like to have a 11'-12' or so in a lighter weight (switch) to round out my fishing habits. I am fairly confident that these two would satisfy my needs.....but that has been said and proven wrong before....I swear honey it's the last one I will ever need!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
You know which one I have bro...that's my preference. I've tried a few shorter and longer, but always seem to prefer the green. Not sure if that's just because its what I started with or not, but its versatile...aside for an occasional pass at those chrome squish chum, it's all for steel, and it fits most rivers quite well, big or small.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You know which one I have bro...that's my preference. I've tried a few shorter and longer, but always seem to prefer the green. Not sure if that's just because its what I started with or not, but its versatile...aside for an occasional pass at those chrome squish chum, it's all for steel, and it fits most rivers quite well, big or small.
You have a 1409 Loop Goran if I recall correctly?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thanks for that Pat or I was going to have to ask. Difficult if you are a noob who wants to try it out when you know nothing. Funny that I used to live a stone's throw from the Spey. Prince Charles did it and he was so obviously a dickhead I wouldn't have been seen dead with a spey rod.....:p

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
arrgh, there is a spey casting event on new years day just above the train bridge on the vedder, i will be there as will many other spey fishers if you want some pointers and to try out a bunch of combos stop by.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I could only have one....13-6" would be a good all around 2hander. Since most rods are between 12 and 15'.....13' 6" seems like the natural compromise size. Probably go with a #8/9.

This thread is starting to sound like a Christmas wish list .. ; )

cheers.....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Find it strange how you would be asking this Rick, I thought you were an expert on spey gear
I remember fishing on the opposite side of the Vedder from you (you were spey casting) and your fly was landing within a couple of feet of me each cast, impressive casting.
I do now own a Spey rod and its 13' this size was suggested by my local store based on the info i gave them as to what and where i would be fishing.
Having hooked a steelhead (first day out with a Spey rod) i love it:thumbup:
just need more practice with the casting8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Find it strange how you would be asking this Rick, I thought you were an expert on spey gear.
The post is old, and Rick was probably trying to get a discussion going more than for his own knowledge. :)

Everyone has a different opinion, I'm a fan of 13'6". I have a 14'3" Z-Axis, and it's great, but it's a tad on the large size.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Im with Pat about the 13' 7wt 1307 Scott LS2's Extremely light in the hand and the backbone to control a decent size fish. The perfect balance from everything I have casted. Love my 13'2" 9wt Loop Yellow line but I need to have a good run of chinooks to cast at so I am a little more limited with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts