BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions for those of you with speys...

What rod do you use, what lines are you casting, why do you like them, and what would you change if you could...?

Thx,

rib

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ribs, at the moment I'm stuck on my Loop Yellow 9140. I use Airflo delta for a 8/9. It's the older style line with the fat running line. Casts OK with the big Yellow but fishes like a dream, mend o rama. Most of my steelheading now is of the winter variety so if I could change anything about this set-up would be to change to a shorter head ( skagit ) for those big, heavy cold weather flies. If your after a new line get one with a visible casting point ( colour change ) makes life a bit easier, especially if your teaching a newbie to spey. :beerchug:

G

·
I had the Loop Blue 9140 with the Rio Versa tip system, Hook bought it from me, im sure he will add his comments on it

Casting is pretty cool, never had any real big hookups with it, the reason i like them is you dont have much to any back cast making you able to fish tighter areas... Im in the process of getting another one but a bit different from the one i had..

You can cast out more line in one shot no stripping all the line in like you would with a Single hander, double hander you can cast it all back out with minimal retrieving.

Rio Versa Tip is a good River line, you get all the tips with it, that way your covered for any type of water you encounter.... price is about $199.99 pricey but worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dont buy a versa tip. buy a really good quality line and buy a bunch of poly tips, way better selection and much easier to cast(for a newb).

A good all around is a 13-14 foot 8 wt that will fish most places.

If you do wanna go and do some casting I could go to the park with you, I do have a bunch of rods from 11-3" to 16'.

jj

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i have the rod Fishfreak had i like it so easy to cast even for a newb and the versa tips are easy to cast i just need to learn a bit more. i find the rod a little heavy though for holding all day, not for the casting but just when your holding it in one hand while drifting. but i dont care i like how simple it is to use and will be great for that cold winter fishing and bigger fish ;D

i do like the fact i can slap my pin onto the rod and use it that way also ;D awesome

HOOK

only thing i have hooked on it so far is pinks and if they are that fun bigger fish will be the cats a**

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Rib, it really wouldn't take much to get a few guys together that have some rods so you can try some, myself the only 2 I have right now are the Loop yellow 8124 and the green 9140 or whatever they call them. I know M&Y has a blue 8124 I think, and Freds has a yellow 9140, a couple of blacks and an adventure rod. all in the 8-9wt range. Berlger has a big 9140 DecHogan rod, still for sale I think.

As fopr what I cast it's skagit lines all the way, for local rivers its the only way to go, for fishability and for learning they're great, I have the Airflow skagit 650 on my green, and the SA skagit deluxe 550 on the yellow. I have tried some other lines, but these fish the easiest. I just sold my old Mustang and a few other toys so it looks like I'm getting my Meiser real soon. :thumbup: Trying to beat Bergler to it ;D

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have a loop Blue 914. When I got it I bought a Rio Windcutter Versatip and learned with that. I have since switched to a Rio Skagit line and still use the tips from the windcutter. The Skagit line is so much more forgiving of my relative lack of skill, that it will be a long time before I go back to the windcutter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
HOOK said:
i have the rod Fishfreak had i like it so easy to cast even for a newb and the versa tips are easy to cast i just need to learn a bit more. i find the rod a little heavy though for holding all day, not for the casting but just when your holding it in one hand while drifting. but i dont care i like how simple it is to use and will be great for that cold winter fishing and bigger fish ;D

i do like the fact i can slap my pin onto the rod and use it that way also ;D awesome

HOOK

only thing i have hooked on it so far is pinks and if they are that fun bigger fish will be the cats a**
Hi HOOK. I am getting back into fishing and need equipment however the funds are in short supply. I like the idea of using one rod for two different techniques. ie a spey rod that doubles as a pin. Do you notice any drawbacks using a fly rod as a centrepin?

Also, whats a 9wt like for catching pinks? Does it overpower them too much or is the rod still fun for pinks but has enough backbone for the bigger fish?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vanislealoha said:
I like the idea of using one rod for two different techniques. ie a spey rod that doubles as a pin. Do you notice any drawbacks using a fly rod as a centrepin?
Vanislealoha, you will want to replace your last guide with a ceramic guide. This will allow you to use the spey rod for both purposes without having your mono damaging the guide at the tip. When you choose to go this route, the ceramic guide is going to change the action of the rod a little bit, ie: give the tip more action due to the increased weight of the ceramic guide. You might want to keep that in mind when you are choosing a rod.

Another person to ask for further advice would be Bentrod, he has gone this 'dual purpose' spey route before, and could also shed some light on your questions...

Hope that helps,

rib

·
Registered
177 Posts
A spey rod for gear fishing??? :p Aye carumba! Once ya lay out a couple of nice casts you won't be thinkin' bout that pin idea anymore. But if you must abuse a two-hander better to go with a shorter rod, 11'6-13' max. Longer rods will work obviously but their lengths are extreme for our small flows. For the most part spey rods are four pieces which does not lend itself to car-hopping from hole to hole, you'd need to buy rod holders for your cars hood. There is a misconception that speyrods are heavy, horse-em-in type rods, not so. In fact most of the shorter (12') rods are probably lighter action than the gear rod & lead set-up most use for pinks. So no, a spey rod would not be overkill for pinks....it'd be perfect (8/9) Good Luck Dude!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Jack Straw said:
A spey rod for gear fishing??? :p Aye carumba! Once ya lay out a couple of nice casts you won't be thinkin' bout that pin idea anymore. But if you must abuse a two-hander better to go with a shorter rod, 11'6-13' max. Longer rods will work obviously but their lengths are extreme for our small flows. For the most part spey rods are four pieces which does not lend itself to car-hopping from hole to hole, you'd need to buy rod holders for your cars hood. There is a misconception that speyrods are heavy, horse-em-in type rods, not so. In fact most of the shorter (12') rods are probably lighter action than the gear rod & lead set-up most use for pinks. So no, a spey rod would not be overkill for pinks....it'd be perfect (8/9) Good Luck Dude!! :beerchug:
Build them yourself. All parts available at Princess Auto-total price, 25-$30.

·
Registered
708 Posts
jetboatjim said:
just what I wanna do ,put a hardy cascapadia and 800$ sage on a 30$ rod holder and do 80 down th highway :thumbup:

I spent the 90 $.
Jim,
why are you driving so slow?
on another note, Many years ago I saw a Hardy Silex skip down the Squamish hwy due to a cheap roof top rod holder set up.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Rib:

On my 9140 VPS I have a RIO Midspey multi-tip, and on my 7/8wt St. Croix I have an Airflo Delta with custom tips. The Midspey is okay, not too crazy about the Airflo.

Proff:

That homemade device is ingenous!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
jetboatjim said:
just what I wanna do ,put a hardy cascapadia and 800$ sage on a 30$ rod holder and do 80 down th highway :thumbup:

I spent the 90 $.
Fill yer boots, Jimmy. I trust my engineering and my thrift. :beerchug: At highway speed i usually pack 'er up in the back of the truck, Better able to avoid road debris kicked up by the old woman in front of me doing only 80. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
depends on the river, what time of the year.

For winter fishing i goto shorter lines...50-60 feet... easier for casting heavier tips and big flies.
Can't have one rod set up can we? ;)

I pick a rod and i line i feel like that day. I do try not to use a skagit line as much as possible, creates too much bad habits when i switch back to long bellied lines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.