BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
What you could also look into ST is a rod that will speycast nicely using single hand methods.

For instance my Loop yellow 3wt has a nice action that really lends itself to most of the basic skagit style casts, when you couple it with a purpose built line like the Loop Optistream it really does well. That way you can do all your speycasts but only be fishing a 8'2" 3wt rod. the line is very simliar to a skagit type taper.

· Registered
177 Posts
Silvertrout, Im not sure about a 2-hander for trout but if speycasting is what your after that single hander will do just fine. Anchor casts are simple & great fun with a single hander.

There are lines that cast beautifully with a single hander (airflows' 40+, rios' outbound etc) Snake roll, Perry poke, double & single spey, snap & circle T's. You will NEVER overhead again on rivers. ;D

One big advantage to speycasting with the 'little rod' is how you can control the wind & let it work to your advantage. Upstream wind...anchor over your upstream shoulder. Downstream wind...anchor below your downstream shoulder. This will inflate your d-loop & send your line incredible distances, with a simple flick of the wrist :beerchug: no false casting, no tangles behind ya, just roll & fire away.

Good luck & tight loops!

· Registered
691 Posts
Now that the threads completely highjacked :thumbup: Hey Jackstraw, you trie the Loop optistream yet? I played with the outbound, haven't tried the 40+ with those casts. But The Loop line I thought was awsome. Hence me buying it for my 3wt.

· Registered
177 Posts
Eimaj, I have tried that opti-stream...nice. I did not get a chance to spey cast it though. The 40+ sure is easy though & I HIGHLY recommend it. It has a head that is much like a 2-hand line, a long front taper & a very visible casting point. Simply pull the head to your rod tip, roll it & fire. I taught my girlfriend to snake-roll in no time at all, one-hand for your rod & the other for your beer :beerchug:

The line is not expensive. Overhead casting on flows now seems so silly...why bother. If you're still struggling with overhead casting this product is a must.

Hook, I confuse myself all the time too, e-mail & I'll try to less confusing ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.