BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up at Spider Lake yesterday - near Qualicum area. There was a lot of guys on the water. It's a small lake and it was like 'bumper boats' out there.
Guys were catching small rainbows - mostly the flyfishers. Lots of midge pupae and lots of dimples on the surface.
Nice lake but very crowded in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Spider was stocked about a week ago with 1000 catchables, hence the "bumper boats". Give it another 2 weeks and it will calm down quite a bit.

I'm going down to Shawnigan this weekend if the weather holds out (which it doesn't look like it will)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also some bigger rainbows to 4-5 pounds if you can find them....

Saw a few earlier this week on my finder...well below the small guys...but no luck hooking up...need
to work on my Chronomid techniques!!!!!

Same scenario at Maple Lake up by Courtney. Lots of catchables but a few 'wallys' if you hunt and search.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if you see certain fish at a certain depth and want to entice them with chronies try putting the fly down about 2feet above where they are. this might help getting strikes. the next trick is trying lots of patterns until you find one they have been feeding on. first ones to start with would be black/silver ribs or black/red ribs. they seem to be staple chronie colours for here on the coast :thumbup: here is an example of this: was fishing Leighton last year with the fish sitting down around 20feet and the only way to get a strike was to be down at least 14feet but as low was 18. difficult to cast for sure but effective.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Maple is my "home" lake and it's got excellent fishing. Indeed there are some larger bows in there (hooked one in the 4lb range on an ice cream cone, but it shook off). By "wally", I'm assuming you don't mean walleye :confused:

I'm going down to Spider on Friday (anyone interested?). I'm doing it from shore, but if anyone has a boat I'd be happy to shoot you a few bucks for the seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Hook

That sounds like a good plan and I'll certainly work the depths...I have a portable fish finder on my pontoon boat and seem to be able to locate fish at various depths.

Will also try the same deal at Maple and look for that 4 pound 'wally-the-wall-hanger' rainbow.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.