BC Fishing Reports banner

Spin fishing is tiring

4K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  scoobydope2 
#1 ·
Does anyone else find spin fishing from the shore to be physically tiring?

I mean, you can only cast so far with a light lure, so you are pretty much casting every 30 seconds or so. I find that after an hour or two, and a hundred casts later, my shoulder is extremely tired and sore. I understand that using a heavier lure may help a little with casting further, therefore reducing the number of casts, but I find the experience far from relaxing.

When I use a float and worm, I can sit down and relax until fish strikes. Now, that's relaxing.

Is it just me? Thoughts? ???

#5 ·
Tiring? Spincasting? LOL

Ya, I guess it involves more energy use than plunking worms/bait, but honestly - if you're getting tired from spincasting, maybe you should consider starting an exercise program and get yourself into some manner of shape.

Good luck with that!
:)
Tex

#7 ·
You should try a fast action rod, once you get used to the action, you'll be able to "snap" the lure at least a third farther.....even the lighter lures.

Also, are you maybe using a reel that might be on the larger side???

Other than that, get used to it, keep chucking, eat plenty of fish and you're body WILL get stronger.

#12 ·
Echo that. I might be your gear that is so tirinng. When I spincast the beaches for cutthroat I am flicking little 1/8 oz spoons with a Shimona Sedona 1500 reel loaded with 6lb test and a light, fast action, rod. I can cast the lures pretty far with a good snap of the wrist and can fish for a couple of hours without feeling at all sore and tired

#9 ·
I guess it's definitely a personal preference....Myself I would MUCH RATHER stand and cast - then sit in a chair... I like doing something... I find bar fishing kinda boring... along with trolling..... flyfishing I haven't quite mastered but I still find it alot of fun! Maybe you should try braided line - it is alot better than mono - at least I find I can cast farther with it... its just smoother!

#11 ·
Touche! I too find Bar fishing boring! My spincasting always invloves a boat and chucking a heavy Len Thompson spoon to the edge of weed beds for hungry gators(pike).I use a good quality Shimano reel spooled with Braided line,as mentioned above,a ton easier to cast.I dont find it tiring at all,the anticipation of a vicious strike overcomes the fatigue factor.

#15 ·
My left shoulder is mostly dead and complains after moderate spin casting. Especially when I'm trying too hard to reach that extra few feet. So I tell my wrists to do more of the work and that seems to help me along. Eventually my back revolts and then I have to take a break. I'm trying to save the pain killers for when I'm really old but the occasional Ibuprofen the night before can really help take the inflamation away for the morning.

DSD.

#16 ·
not so much the shoulder, as it is the muscles in between the shoulderblades, kinda mid-back. It's more like a cramp...
Of course that only comes on after about 5 or 6 hours of solid casting, and I think it's more to do with the level of concentration/anxiety that comes with watching your float glide on downstream... Waiting waiting waiting, tense, "Was that a lil bump? something there?" waiting waiting, ready to set the hook cuz THIS is the cast...
You know how it is; sure you've been casting, watching and retrieving all morning, and this next cast is probably the 360th cast, but IT'S the one that they're gonna hit, so I find -- personally -- that I'm never quite totally "relaxed". (even though I seem to totally stand by the claim that 'fishing is one of the most relaxing things a man can do').
Hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.