BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on the fish out this weekend and was wondering what colours I should bring - oh, this is my first time bar fishing. So far I've picked up silver, green, red, yellow and a watermelon. Are there any standards I should have?
Thanks, Jason.

· Registered
940 Posts
in my honest opinion, especially with the water having such horrible viz, color really does not matter.

With the viz being literally less than 6 inches in most areas; I don't think that the fish are going to be able to tell from 30 feet away that there is an annoying watermelon and chrome spin-n-glo begging to be hammered. I think that right now all that really matters is location and the amount of vibration the spin-n-glo puts out.

I think once the water gets some more viz, the color "may be" more of an important factor, but ultimately, I think that getting the spin-n-glo in their travel route is the key.

:2cents:

· Registered
909 Posts
You've got the right colors Big Jay . Don't forget the beads, like thrasher said with the poor vis, right now it is more the vibration that will bring em in to strike.
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Big/bold/lotsa beads above and below/punch a 3/16" hole in one wing, add a big, scented roe bag, thread on the leader (18-24inch), chuck it out there and sit back, relax, and get bitten to death by the west coast flesh eaters !!(mosquitoes)...LOL ;D......Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,378 Posts
If you are bar fishing with a single rig above the mission bridge, with a single barbless hook, you can use roe, worms,eggs shrimp, scents of any description, cured eggs, .....I recommend the use of a spawn sac for any bait you use...It serves a couple of purposes....... It keeps it on the hook longer, It helps held the scent better (You can soak your baits in scent prior to using and store them in a jar) and I believe the roe sac is a bit of a tooth grabber, when the fish strikes!!..............Ortho 8)

· Registered
475 Posts
fishortho said:
Big/bold/lotsa beads above and below/punch a 3/16" hole in one wing, add a big, scented roe bag, thread on the leader (18-24inch), chuck it out there and sit back, relax, and get bitten to death by the west coast flesh eaters !!(mosquitoes)...LOL ;D......Ortho 8)
To add to what Ortho has said: I've heard of people poking another hole in the front off-center from the original line hole to make it spin off kilter and add even more vibration.

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

· Registered
413 Posts
To add to what Ortho has said: I've heard of people poking another hole in the front off-center from the original line hole to make it spin off kilter and add even more vibration.

Cheers! -Nathan in NW
[/quote]
That works very well ;)

· Registered
3,378 Posts
A couple of beads above gives the presentation more "life" in the colored water, it gives off more vibration, and they also help keep the crap floating in the water from hooking up on your line (smoother surface to slide off)...Ortho 8)

· Registered
183 Posts
I recently found a new spin n glo pattern while in Bella Coola, it has a standard chartreusse head and chrome body, however it has the standard mylar wings but they are also yellow, somewhat like a yellow chrome. I know when it comes to bar fishing a lot of times the pattern doesnt matter as I have seen fish take just about any colour but this one at any given time but this one seemed to work when the usual chrome patterns didn't. I even gave one to someone else to try and sure enough he hooked into fish as well. The only problem I ended up snagged on a rock and lost the only one I had left!!! I have searched the internet trying to find a place that sells a varierty of spin n glos but have not found anything like this.....Has anyone else had any luck with trying these?? and where can I go to get some more???? it may be just dumb luck but I gotta go with what works!!! thanks

· Registered
413 Posts
I don't believe for a minute that 2 beads above changes anything. if you want more action stick to offsetting the hole

· Registered
183 Posts
the more beads on the line the more the leader gets worn which is, a lot of times this is the reason why people lose fish, they never change or check the leader, the beads and spin n glo wear the line out. I like to chnage up after a couple of hours depending on the water clarity, a lot of people will just leave the same leader on all day, which usually ends up in disaster when a fish is on!!!! I have seen people use wire that they attache the bead and spin n glo to but from what i was told it effects the flotation of the spin n glo causing to sink down, not sure about this one........ I use 2 beads only between the hook and the spin n glo, 40 lb leader, just preference for me

· Registered
707 Posts
there are a few more new colors about to be on the market in the next couple of weeks. One is called "Califiornia Watermelon" another if the standard flame/chartreuse with new chartreuse mylar wings and the last one is a metallic lime with pink tiger stripes and mylar wings. They all look pretty cool

· Registered
736 Posts
rln said:
there are a few more new colors about to be on the market in the next couple of weeks. One is called "Califiornia Watermelon" another if the standard flame/chartreuse with new chartreuse mylar wings and the last one is a metallic lime with pink tiger stripes and mylar wings. They all look pretty cool
Yeah they look good. I tried all of them today, but got nothin. Vis is around 6-8". I am pretty sure they will produce when we get some better visiblity. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.