BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried bottom bouncing for the first time last year on a trip to the upper fraser and now that sockeye are open look forward to getting out in the next couple of days. The guide that took us set us up with spinning reels but that was probably because everyone can use a spinning reel. I received a daiwa luna 300 as a gift from a friend after his fisherman father passed away, and want to try it out, but dont know if it is really the best setup for sockeye fishing on the fraser. What are your thoughts and preferred types of reels for this style of fishing. Also i am still new to fishing and know that many people seem to frown upon bottom bouncing, i have only tried in once in my four years of fishing so if there are some suggestions on some other methods i would be happy to hear those as well.

Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd take a levelwind over a spinning reel any day, you don't have to deal with the line twist.

My favorite method is on the fly though, can't beat that experience :D

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
You will find the vast majority of anglers lining sockeye use level wind reels because you can extend your drift by free spooling. This will also put a belly in your line and with flossing the more line on the water the better chance you have of your hook finding the outside of the fish's mouth. Some people feel there is no skill involved in flossing but I beg to differ. It's just like other angling techniques, 20% of the people out there are catching 80% of the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will find the vast majority of anglers lining sockeye use level wind reels because you can extend your drift by free spooling. This will also put a belly in your line and with flossing the more line on the water the better chance you have of your hook finding the outside of the fish's mouth. Some people feel there is no skill involved in flossing but I beg to differ. It's just like other angling techniques, 20% of the people out there are catching 80% of the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not felt the need to free spool with the levelwind to catch sockeye. When there are a number of people on the bar, freespooling will just get you into the next fisherman's drift and gear.
You are quite correct that most people use levelwind reels. Guides quite often provide spinning reels for their clients because there is a learning curve to using a levelwind and the guides don't want to spend all day untangling birdsnests.
I definitely agree that there is skill involved in flossing. Some people always catch fish and others right beside them catch very few while trying to do exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Farmer

I have not felt the need to free spool with the levelwind to catch sockeye. When there are a number of people on the bar, freespooling will just get you into the next fisherman's drift and gear.

I completely agree with your coment. I just move on to get away from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've only used Spincaster till i got a cheap levelwind for steelhead this past season..

i'm still trying to learn levelwind as my reel was SUPER cheap.. i got a $100 reel from Army and Navy and hope to try it out on the fraser this week/weekend to catch me some sockey and if lucky a chinook :)

i personally like spincasters still until i can learn the level wind as i never really got a good feel for it

·
Registered
167 Posts
The bait caster reel has the edge, but the spinning reel can get the job done. I think what is more important is getting yourself in a spot where there are fishing passing through, and where you can position yourself to give yourself a good chance of flossing them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with BGM. I prefer the baitcasting reels, but spinning is easier to use and one can "freespool" a spinning reel, but that is a technique that should be left to a smaller river with a lesser flow to master that techniuqe.

I was on the fraser last Friday. My freind was flossing using a 15 ft. leader and bottom bouncing. I was using a 4 ft. leader and drift fishing( pencil lead of a lighter weight so you tick the bottom every few feet instead of dragging the bottom of the river). I hooked 4 sockeye and 1 king and my friend hooked 6 sockeye and no kings. I find it easier to toss a 4' leader instead of 15' leader. Also, it is easier for me to know if a fish has taken my offering. Try both metods and see what works best for you.

One other note for those who release their fish. I tried a tool called a dehooker(a small plastic tool that costs about a buck) and it works great. In the past, it was very difficult for me to relaease a fish on the fraser without taking it out of the water due to the massive flows. With this simple tool I can release a fish by just lifting it's head out of the water by the leader and using this tool. I feel so much beter knowing the fish I released has a very good chance to survive. God luck on the fraser.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Levelwind for me but spincaster works fine too. I find I have a bit more control with the level wind but like its been said a spincaster will absolutly do the job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you really enjoy fishing... you will catch fish using any rod/reel combo. A level wind system on the rivers will allow you to cover a ton of water easily... and most have very fast retrieve systems 6 to 1 ratio. Very easy to use... great control with minimal practice...and loads of fun to fish with.

at one time all I owned was a basic spin cast rod and reel.. and was always happy when I got to use it... Switched to a level wind...and thought that was the best invention ever. Til someone introduced me to fly fishing...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fraser Sockeye Aug 18

Fished Rosedale area (no boat) and caught first Sockeye on the second cast. Caught the second fish after several hrs , lots of snags, and a few that just didnt want to stay on the hook. In regards to flossing, yes.....they are flossed- get over it. It gets a little tiring listening to so called purests- with holier than thou comments that real fisherman shouldnt do that sort of thing. I fly fish... and yes..... some of the salmon are "gasp" u guessed it ...flossed. Flossing is the only effective way to catch the Sockeye in the river , so yes.... do your part and thin out the school - so the ones that reach the spawing grounds can spawn effectively . There is only so much room in the spawning grounds- too many fish making it isnt a good thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are bottom bouncing I have to say level wind hands down, can handle the pressure better than a spin caster. I also find its easier to get some distance on your cast with a level wind.
Also you can use your new level wind reel to fish other river systems after the socks are done, you can do some short floating on the vedder in the fall for salmon.
I use my level wind for the fall white springs and chums and my centerpin set up for coho and steelhead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts