BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to try casting spinners and spoons for cohos later in the fall. What is the best technique (s) ? Is it just cast and retrieve ? Do you cast quartering upstream and let it swing ? Do you point your rod tip at your spinner on the swing ? Upstream ? Downstream ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always keep my rod low to the water and at the spinner but there are many methods to use. You can cast and retrieve right away, cast wait a few seconds for it to drop and then retrieve, fast and slow retrieves, cast and let it swing, upstream etc. all of which will catch fish. Good luck out there

·
Registered
148 Posts
Been doing a lot of this the past couple of years with lots of success! The technique should all depend on the water you are fishing and where the fish are sitting. One of the most important things is the current. You have to retrieve very very slow to get your lure down to the fish in any sort of current.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Depends on the type of water.In flowing water an upstream cast and a swing into the seam/slow edge for a spoon and inline spinner.Retrieve at the ready,they will sometimes follow right to your feet.Personally I keep my rod low to the water but with some angle to the line.A colarado under a float can be worked down the seam better than an inline spinner.In frog water/deep pools cast and retrieve as slow as possible to maintain action or spin is usually the ticket.If you know fish are there but you're not getting results,change up the speed/size/ colour.In coloured water,hardware can work in one hole all day if fresh fish are moving in.With stacked fish in clearish water I find hardware good for 12-20 casts,then its time to switch to roe for a while.A trick for coho suspended in a deep pool that don't seem interested in anything is to jig/flutter a 3/8 oz. silver or brass croc among/over them.It can bring out a territoial feeding instinct/reflex.It really brings on the fishing heeby-jeebys to watch one come out of the pack to inhale your spoon!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
details?

I also am interested in this subject.

Those of you who use this method: would you please post what length of rod you use, reel type, line type, size of lure, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rods can be from 7' (a little short ) - 10'6" med. action rated somewhere in the 10#-20# range.(mine is a 10' spincast) either spincast or levelwind.12#-20# mainline(I use12#-14#) with 10#-15# leaders.Don't go light with hardware leaders.Line-shyness is not an issue.Spoons (crocs/kohos/kitimats) in brass and silver(green/blue scale/stripes/ wings/hammered opt.) 1/4oz.-1/2oz.(I prefer 3/8oz.)Weight can be added on you line( no closer than 3')for deeper runs/pools. Spinners #2-#5 brass/gold/silver (coloured can also work) inline (ie. mepps/blue fox) or colarado style(which can be cast and retrieved as well as floated). I use a c-pin mostly these days,so the spoons don't get wet like in the days when I earned my handle.My(hardware) money rig is a #3 gold colarado under a float.

·
Registered
37 Posts
S: Thanks. I have a baitcasting reel on my longer rod and might give that a try. Do you attach your mainline to a swivel and then leader to that? How long of leader?
My background is walleye and trout fishing, so floating a spoon is new to me, but I'll give that a try, also.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Swivel and leader more for colarado,but can also be used for inline spinner and spoon. Arms length for leader(2'-3').The spoons mentioned are not usually fished under a float, but thin bladed fluttering types could.Inline spinners and spoons are usually tied to mainline or used with a snap swivel on mainline.Weight can be added by using split shot or sliding a piece of tubing on your mainline and inserting pencil-lead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
too early?

Spoonman: Thanks for your advice. Have you been out for Coho yet, or is it too early? Fraser or Vedder?

Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Check the reports section.And a heads up;coho not open on the Fraser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts