BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

It might be a long shot, but what would you suggest as a spinning reel for Fraser (BB)?

1.Would 4000 series efficient there? (I've got Technium 10' rod)

2.Based on annual usage of 4-5 days what brand - model woul provide satisfactory reliability, longevity and performance.

So far Shimano Sahara and Penn Fierce are of interest for me.

(I hope to find something up to $100).

(erroneously posted initially in another forum; thanks to the admin that closed it)

Thx,

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Do you also have a levelwind/baitcaster reel? They produce a better drift with the free spool mechanism which gives you more control of your drift and is more sensitive as you use your thumb to control line paying out. Opening the bail on a spinning reel during the drift is awkward and clumsy IMO.

What fish are you planning on targeting?

Also, a reminder to all, keep this thread on topic, I don't want people to see it as an opportunity to bash bottom bouncing.

Let's rephrase the question to say 'What spinning reel is good for DRIFT fishing and leave it at that.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Keeping totally on topic...I agree with BGM .forget the spinning reel ....look for a used levelwind like the ABU 6500C or the Calcutta 400. The both come in left or right hand crank, easy parts and almost bulletproof..If you are going to do some bar fishing for some springs, I would suggest you ramp up the levelwind a bit and get a heavier model like the Diawa Luna 300 or the Abu Garcia Revo Toro 50......Ortho

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realize the topic is a delicate one.
Technically - I have 4 Abu 6000, fully upgraded with ceramic bearings everywhere, no bushings, carbon matrix drags, pawls, very advanced experiments with lubricants, idler wheels with bearing , etc. Even fully upgraded my Record.
The point is that on Fraser, no matter what I do, adjustments and so on, the rate of broken line is high. Using braid with 8 strands; recently I red an article (Japanese origin) that 8 strands braid is a recipe for failure with levelwinds. Go figure...
Free spooling is a factor as well, but covering the bottom with lost weights is another thing.
For years plan to get on bar fishing - have everything ready - just have no access to boat.
Just tired to continuously assembling hooks, leaders, weights.
Of course I prefer levelwinds, even got new casting rod - Fenwick Elite Tech 11.3'. medium, medium. Not for Fraser though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update:

Used my Rapala rated 3oz (my Veder rod is rated 1.5oz). Never before paid attention to the lure ratings.
2 days of full blown casting activities with 3.5oz and 4 days with large float with 1oz weight.
Same braid as last year, same upgraded Abu's 6k - perhaps 3 tanglings on float and only one breakage else (due to tiredness).
Very optimistic results, very relieved. Casting long casts full swing was a breeze.
Despite having brand new Shimano Technium spinning rod as backup - never used.
Looking towards testing my new Fenwick Elite on Vedder....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at Shimano's website just for the heck of it and saw a line of saltwater reels I have never heard about.

I did "a little of my own research" and read some reviews but am wondering why I never hear anything about them? I am kind of a Shimano fanboy fishingverge and all but one of my spinning reels are Shimano's for no other reason than I have had great luck with them and they never let me down.

I am looking for some personal experience or info as to why we never see these in-store or on the water/sand. They sound cool. Built for casting, "special retrieves rates" (according to the propaganda).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts