Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spool Keepers Made Easy an easy DIY!!!

(mod wasn't sure where to put this because it is actually salt and fresh related)

I recently saw this info on another site and appreciated the cool idea. With the posters permission, I wanted to share this idea for keeping your mainline and leader spools tidy. I ended up making a few of these myself and they work great!!!

Twitch said:
Spent an episode of Law and Order making up a pile of spool keepers, and figured someone on here may want to make a few of their own, so here ya go.

First, round up the following :
"Pony Beads" *
E-6000 glue *
1/4" Elastic * (* denotes availabilty from a craft store)
3/8" heat shrink tubing (auto store)
Lighter (Dan S.)
Ruler
Scissors

Now, you'll have enough material to make dozens and dozens of these things, so maybe go in with a couple friends.

Next,
~ Cut heat shrink tubing into 1/4" - 3/8" wide little rings
~ Lay out a few dozen pony beads
~ Cut elastic into desired lengths depending on spools to be put on
(- 5 1/2" for '1/4lb spools, i.e., Berkley Big Game, Maxima Hi Vis)
(- 8" for Maxima Leader Spools)
(- 10" for Maxima One Shot Spools, 100-1500 yd TufLine, etc.)

- Now, put two small drops of E-6000 glue, one opposite the other on the edge of a pony bead.
- Simply squeeze the two ends of an elastic band against the glue for 30 sec. or so.
- Once it's adhered enough you can let go, slide a ring of heat shrink tubing over the bead/elastic band ends.
- Hit 'er with the lighter, shrinking it all down nice and snug.

Whala!

Have fun!
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/622602/1.html

Thrasher

(thanks Twitch)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I'm on my way to Micheal's craft store as soon as I get out of the shower!!!! This is the best tip I have soon in 2010. I can never seem to control the spare cartridges for my BFR and Dragonfly reels. Thanks Thrasher (and your buddy Twitch)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice idea, but wayyyy to much work for me::), I just use size#64 rubber bands from the RC hobbie shop:thumbup:
Cool, do your rubberbands have a hole made in them that allows the line to easily dispense thru? If so, I agree, that would be a great way to do it, and easy at that. To date, I have yet to find a rubberband that had a hole in it to dispense the line.

You can pm me where you pick up the rubberbands with the holes, I would like to try them. Thank you

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
BCFR Idea of the Year award Nominee!!! LOL. I'm definitely making some of those!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just saw another guuy who had that done to his spools so i made up a bunch. Easy as pie. if you get the adhesive lined heat shink no need for glue.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wide rubber bands and hole punch. Easy as "punch"
The rubber bands will not spin as easily, not to mention, they will tear in time.

I was merely offering an idea, if guys are happy with rubber bands, that's great! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You can't really win Thrasher.

BUT! It's an awesome idea.
Cuts down on my Christmas shoppin', helps me use some shrinkwrap I've had kickin' around forever and when I take my Daughter to the craft store to replace her missing beads (hmmmm) Bonus points!
THANKS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been doing something very similar but using a rivet to bind the two ends. You can get a diy rivet kit form walmart craft section. It includes a hole punch and a rivet compression bit. All you need is a hammer to compress the rivet.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been doing something very similar but using a rivet to bind the two ends. You can get a diy rivet kit form walmart craft section. It includes a hole punch and a rivet compression bit. All you need is a hammer to compress the rivet.
Cool

One thing I like about the style I posted is that since I am around the salt quite a bit, I never have to worry about rust. How do your rivets hold up to salty environment?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe that something like this comes on Rio Fluro tippet reels but, this is much easier and cheaper than using up all that tippet just to get the keeper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool

One thing I like about the style I posted is that since I am around the salt quite a bit, I never have to worry about rust. How do your rivets hold up to salty environment?
I have only been using these in fresh water but the rivets are brass. They may tarnish but won't rust the same as steel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Inspired by the spool keeper idea, I've taken some 1 mm neoprene and cut to thin strips, aquasealed em' in a loop, and punched a small hole. If the bond fails I'll sew em', and if the hole spreads I'll add a grommet. Thrashers keeper/slugger's grommeted keeper/improved punched rubber band..... cuz I need more little projects to whittle away at my time! Bloody hell!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully this thread was helpful to those who chose to make some of these. I know that they have sure cleaned up my cabinets and tackle boxes on the boat.

If anyone has any other questions, pm me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.