BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Usually tie a spoon or spinner right to your main line, but in really fast, deeper water I use a snap swivel and leader set up so I can add weight if needed as you want to be close to bottom for steelhead. You can also use a float if in a snaggy area but it is usually not necessary as a spoon or spinner does not need to be presented ala dead drift which a float helps you do. Like scruff said you want to drift a little then retrieve to get the right action on the lure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
what kind of rod are you using? as much as it's one more thing to carry, if I'm fishing a river with many pools, I'll bring my spinning rod to chuck spoons, tied direct to my mainline. I'll still fish spinners under a float, as it helps to keep them in the zone longer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
how do you suggest to "add" weight to your spoon. my setup is normally 15lbs main, swivel, 10lbs leader then spoon. would i add a piece of pencil lead to the swivel, or just a couple of split shots right at the spoon?

thx
-fishey

·
Registered
886 Posts
young gun said:
hey this is a topic on spoons, leave the better techniques for another time ;)
Hey young gun...I wouldn't say blades are a better technique than spoons...In order to fish a spoon you must surge it not reel it in like you do a blade... If you can master the spoon the sensation in the rod will feel like it pulses...When you feel this you know you are in the zone... ;) As for adding more weight to the spoon, I never do. I find that it restricts the proper action that I am trying to achieve... Most spoons now come in different sizes like gibbs Ironheads... :cheers: sage

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer to use spoons tied right to the mainline to provide more controll over the speed and depth during the retrieve, especially when fishing across waters where the depth varies. However, in low water or slow flow conditions, I find tear-dropped shaped spoons can be very effective when fished from the float. When fishing deep water, I prefer to use heavier spoons to reach the depths yet sometimes I will add split shots to the line instead. For colors, I've had good success for steelhead using nickel or brass.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
how do you suggest to "add" weight to your spoon
This depends, but I add pencil lead to the snap of the swivel, not to the spoon. Like Sage said, most spoons are heavy enough to get "out" to the water you want to fish and then "down" to where the fish are. The only time I need to add additional weight is when the water is deep and fast and if i am in extremely windy conditions where I need extra weight on the cast like some holes on the Thompson. The additional weight does bring a disadvantage in that it will get hung up and you also lose some sensitivity which is beneficial when chucking spoons.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
As 2106 said spoons should be fished without a float but colorado blades can be fished either way.

I usually use a swivel and leader when I am chucking hardware to keep line twist down, also using a lighter leader below the swivel will prevent you from leaving a bunch of line in the river or hanging off of a fish if you break off. IMHO not using a lighter leader than mainline when fishing is poor form.

Some good steel spoons are Ironhead's, Coho's and Kitimat's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.