BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of different spoons suggested to use on Vedder for Coho and Springs, yet I am having trouble finding color and size recommendations. I have been to the tackle shop and see so many different types/colors/sizes and they are not cheap so I am hoping to be able to purchase one or two that others have had success with. Also do you add a little weight to mainline to help toss spoon out a little further? (I am using a bait cast reel). What kind of weight and how far away from spoon? What type of retreival is best (slight jerk to side, then wind and repeat or just a even pace of winding)? Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
will give you suggestion to the color. many people will recommend you different colors on this forum. Do not rush starting buying them in large numbers, yes they are expensive. Get few recommendations and get a few of a most successfull colors, one color may work for one, and you may not have luck using the same color. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ok here is what I have had pretty good success on so far. Blue Kitimats in the bigger sizes (like 2 biggest sizes, especially when water is this colour). Also crocs in blue/silver (med/big sizes) will get you hooked into a few. I guess it is all about what you have confidence in. I was taking the kitimat out every day after school last year, 1st cast into the backwash I would hook a hatch, bring it in and go home.

I never add any weight to the line when fishing spoon, I find that it takes a lot of action away fromt he spoon that you are using. The kitimats are quite heavy and therefore easy to cast without extra weight but the crocs I always use on a lighter rod, like a spin casting rod. Hope this helps, good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Every Day said:
Ok here is what I have had pretty good success on so far. Blue Kitimats in the bigger sizes (like 2 biggest sizes, especially when water is this colour). Also crocs in blue/silver (med/big sizes) will get you hooked into a few. I guess it is all about what you have confidence in. I was taking the kitimat out every day after school last year, 1st cast into the backwash I would hook a hatch, bring it in and go home.

I never add any weight to the line when fishing spoon, I find that it takes a lot of action away fromt he spoon that you are using. The kitimats are quite heavy and therefore easy to cast without extra weight but the crocs I always use on a lighter rod, like a spin casting rod. Hope this helps, good luck :cheers:
Would you still use the float?

·
Registered
76 Posts
kitimats are the only way to go.... I was fishing with them last year and hooked at least a dozen cohos not to mention a monster spring(or at least I asume that was what it was considering it spooled me in about 30 sec. :wallbash:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This is not a spoon but this is what works for me. It is a size 3 blade and I fish it under a float. They are hard to find especially since I bought out the last of them from this one store. They seem to be the only ones that carry them. I have asked them to order some more.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
flyguy said:
This is not a spoon but this is what works for me. It is a size 3 blade and I fish it under a float. They are hard to find especially since I bought out the last of them from this one store. They seem to be the only ones that carry them. I have asked them to order some more.

How do you fish something like a spoon under a float? I'm a clueless fly fisherman, but I thought spoons needed to be cast and dragged in? I guess you're dragging it under the float just to keep it off bottom. Wouldn't that screw up the action?

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's like a colorado.. easily fished under a float. With blades you dont even need to hold back as it will work anyways (or it did for steelhead at least). I prefer fishing spoons and blades over anything else but will occasionally pull out the natural baits (roe, prawns) or the j-egg and wool combo (for steelhead). I'm really starting to like the fly-fishing too.

By the way the trout will chase the kitimats around too, only good part is you won't hook them anymore because they cant fit their mouths over the hook :happy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, I'm so glad to hear about the success on spoons. I'm a Skeena fishermen up until a couple years ago and still trying to catch on here in the lower mainland. I hadn't tried the spoons here though they're my favorite way to fish up north because the water is so dark/silty here. I used to have a lot of success up north casting spoons into the clear water where the smaller systems entered the Skeena. Up there we used mainly Kitimats of course Kitimat is right there as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.