Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing for fun slowly losing popularity, Statistics Canada says

By: Canadian Press
Canoe News
June 25, 2008
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/06/25/5980716-cp.html

OTTAWA - Statistics Canada says fewer people are fishing for fun these days, which is good news for the fish, at least.

The agency says 3.2 million adults bought fishing licences in Canada in 2005, down 25 per cent from the number who hit the water in 1995.

Overall, it says, recreational fishermen are getting older - the average age is 48 for men and 44 for women.

Anglers tend to fish for the same number of days they did a decade ago - about two weeks each - but because of their dwindling numbers, the catch dropped to 156 million fish in 2005 from 196 million in 1995.

The average annual catch was 64 fish for each angler, although Prince Edward Island fisherman reeled in an average of 90.

Ontario and Quebec - home to the biggest numbers of anglers - also showed the biggest drops in both fishermen on the water and fish caught.

However, the ranks of sports fishermen actually rose by seven per cent in Newfoundland and Labrador between 1995 and 2005.

The survey says trout are the main target for sports anglers, making up a quarter of the total catch.

The other major target species are walleye, perch, bass, northern pike and salmon.

Anglers tend to spend about the same amount on their pastime as they did in the 1990s, but the reduced numbers means that total take from recreational fishing dropped to $1.6 billion in 2005 from $1.8 billion in 1995.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me to see higher concentrations of people out in the LM and lower in the interior. $1.50 gas is all that's needed to explain that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
They had a similar story from Victoria about declining number of fishing licences sold over the last few years - both salt and fresh. The story was promoting fishing in stocked lakes and getting families back into fishing.
I know on the salt water side alot of people who sail that would normally buy the familly licences and catch a couple coho salmon a year in the strait aren't buy licences any more because their are no easily caught coho. If one buys a licence it's one for the boat - or the crab and prawn trap on the boat - and that's it. For them it ain't worth fishing.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
708 Posts
HOOK said:
I think they left out BC when they did this survey :confused: because by the amount of people out there we see ours has risen for sure :cheers:
hate to say it, but your dreaming if you think angler numbers are not decreasing in BC. Check with MoE or the Freshwater Fisheries Society and and you will see that angling licenses being sold in BC has dropped about 7% a year for the last 3-5 years. Way less money for the BCFFS to conduct business with. Places I go to have see some dramatic drop in anglers and the age of the few still going to these places is mid 40's and up. Just finished a week fishing with very few anglers compared to 5-10 years ago. Camp sites were near empty most nights. BCFFS has a mandate to increase angler numbers each year for the next few years and are stocking easy access lakes to try and accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The number of anglers may be decreasing but the angler demographics may also be shifting. Perhaps there are more fishermen targetting salmon,steel, sturg and less hitting the stillwaters (as hinted at in an earlier post) making it seem like there are more fishermen on the water.

I can see why...with so few good lake opportunities in the LM (plus it's a real pain to get into a decent lake with a civic), people just want to catch something big. Perhaps a few local lakes could be designated CNR rather than meat fisheries.... :peace:

I know for myself, it sucks to have to drive at least two hours to hit a lake with anything wild in it (live in kits). I miss Kamloops, 20 mins out of town and you're on a trophy lake :'(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.