BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the latest BC Outdoors Sportfishing edition, Tom Johannsen has an article on spring fishing in interior lakes. He talks about opening day being May 1 on most lakes in BC. I have checked the summary and can't find any spring closure on lakes in the province or in regional regs. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hey Prof, its normally on the first page of each region, so look for the first page of region 3.

Used to be that White lake was the big early one with Barnes being a good bet also.

After looking at the regs it seems that lakes that close now show opening dates and I'm guessing if they are not mentioned in the regs than they are open all year, for ice fishing I suppose.

If I remember correctly some lakes were opened early in recent years when ice off came real early.
Nothing quite like finding the fish hungry and stuck near the surface, pretty rare for us non locals.
Sure like to be on Dragon for that event :thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The winter closures are listed in the special regs for each lake that they apply to. Most of the well known trophy lakes have these closures. The may 1 opening is not a region wide reg so if you do not find it in the lake specific write up it is fair game whenever the thaw occurs.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I thought, but in his article Tom states, "With the exception of a few lakes that are open year-round the majority of lakes close on Dec. 1 and remain closed until the long-awaited May 1 opening." I was wondering what he knew that I couldn't find. Guess he's just blowing smoke out his butt.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
professori said:
Guess he's just blowing smoke out his butt.
Yes and no, if you look at the lakes that are covered by the winter closure I think you will find that they may be most of the lakes you want to fish.

Most of the lakes that allow ice fishing are heavily harvested put and take lakes, of course there are exceptions like the 2 listed by bent rods and a few others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.