BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPRING SALMON.jpg

So ... I have been having some exception luck with the SPRING SALMON.

Been heading out the last few days in Mid Morning.
Using a Light Spin Set Up.

6 lb Mono line ... and a Spoon.
Just make sure your DRAG is Set properly.

* They seem to make 4-5 real strong runs and then are very manageable.

Have caught a total of 5 in recent days.
Catch & Release for all of them.

* Other guys think I'm crazy considering the Coho's are not in season yet. I'm considering getting a SMOKER. Then maybe I think I will actually keep a couple of these beautiful fish.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for sharing your fishing report. Some nice fish. Just a question, does the light line make a difference? With the coloured water of the Fraser, does 6 lb line really make a difference with say 10 or 12lb line? How do you handle a 20 to 30lb fish with light line? Probably need a lot of chasing room.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe that the Line Weight does influence lure action and sensitivity.
It also affects casting distance.

I know it may not make much of a "Scientific difference" (percentages) between say 6-8-10-12 Lb mono ...
But I guess I have always "Erred" on the lighter line side.

I've never been a fan of Braid. So .... 40+ years of using Mono, you kinda get used to the Feel.

As long as your not fishing Strong Currents ... I've never really thought I was "losing fish" , but in fact -> Gaining more action.
Fishing a Spoon is one of my all time favorite lures & techniques to use, especially with a light set up.

I don't think there's any other lure out there that is as Deadly & Versatile as a Spoon and how you can present it.

* When a nice big fish HITS a SPOON while in Retrieve -> There's NOTHING LIKE IT! that one second of the "hit" is my adrenaline boost. "The TUG is the DRUG" and i'm hooked.
______

The biggest Spring I have caught was about (15 Lbs ).
The area & conditions ... are very well suited to this type of Spring Fishing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe that the Line Weight does influence lure action and sensitivity.
It also affects casting distance.

I know it may not make much of a "Scientific difference" (percentages) between say 6-8-10-12 Lb mono ...
But I guess I have always "Erred" on the lighter line side.

I've never been a fan of Braid. So .... 40+ years of using Mono, you kinda get used to the Feel.

As long as your not fishing Strong Currents ... I've never really thought I was "losing fish" , but in fact -> Gaining more action.
Fishing a Spoon is one of my all time favorite lures & techniques to use, especially with a light set up.

I don't think there's any other lure out there that is as Deadly & Versatile as a Spoon and how you can present it.

______

The biggest Spring I have caught was about (15 Lbs ).
The area & conditions ... are very well suited to this type of Spring Fishing.

What advice or pointers would you give to someone just starting out with lure fishing BC rivers?

Is there a kind of technique or lure that works well?

I just picked up a light combo a week or two ago and was hoping to try my luck doing exactly this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What advice or pointers would you give to someone just starting out with lure fishing BC rivers?

Is there a kind of technique or lure that works well?

I just picked up a light combo a week or two ago and was hoping to try my luck doing exactly this.

Get a bunch of SILVER SPOONS (Used or cheap) and start trying them out in different water conditions. You will probably lose a million of them to snags etc. ... but that's about the only way to figure out the "Feel" and action. Stick with one "main set up" so that you subconsciously learn the exact memory feel. The WOBBLE is the single most important factor. If the spoon isn't going side to side... it's not working.

Don't be afraid to use BIG SPOONS. There are conditions of real clear water clarity & "Spooky days"... where smaller is better, but in general I firmly believe that any of the Salmonoids (Any fish)..... will take a large spoon easily. They are either "On & aggressive" or not. We have all "finessed" a fish into biting... but those are separate and special times.

Good Luck!

ps: There's nothing in the world that gives me more of an adrenaline boost than when a Big Fish hits a retrieving spoon. That "one second hit" is SO... awesome. "The TUG is the DRUG" and I'm hooked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a bunch of SILVER SPOONS (Used or cheap) and start trying them out in different water conditions. You will probably lose a million of them to snags etc. ... but that's about the only way to figure out the "Feel" and action. Stick with one "main set up" so that you subconsciously learn the exact memory feel. The WOBBLE is the single most important factor. If the spoon isn't going side to side... it's not working.

Don't be afraid to use BIG SPOONS. There are conditions of real clear water clarity & "Spooky days"... where smaller is better, but in general I firmly believe that any of the Salmonoids (Any fish)..... will take a large spoon easily. They are either "On & aggressive" or not. We have all "finessed" a fish into biting... but those are separate and special times.

Good Luck!

ps: There's nothing in the world that gives me more of an adrenaline boost than when a Big Fish hits a retrieving spoon. That "one second hit" is SO... awesome. "The TUG is the DRUG" and I'm hooked.

Great advice blair!

Just reading your writing style about a big fish hitting a retreiving spoon gave me an adrenaline jolt sitting in my office chair, haha.

I was VERY LUCKY and my land lord was clearing out his garage recently. He gave me three tackle boxes plus a light spinning rod for free that are chock full of old spoons and spinners that look like they're from the 70s. I think it's time to get some steel wool and lube up the old elbows before the weekend.

I was planning to try my luck on the lower fraser around south vancouver/new west/richmond on Thursday after work. I picked that day because high tide hits around 7pm so that gives me tons of time to get out and get set up. Hopefully they're running! Now all that's left to do is research some nice open locations in the area.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Blair for sharing your insight on spooning the lower Fraser. I was at Surrey Dock and Brownsville Bar the other day and the water was quite murky due to recent rain. No one was fishing pinks at all. Not sure if it was because of murky water or just no more pink. Lol. I have only done spoon fishing for pinks at lower Fraser but not for spring or coho which I mostly did bar fishing when open. Judging from your video/picture, the water seemed a bit coloured too. Do you find murky water not suitable for spooning effectively or you think a big flashy spoon will compensate for the lack of visibility or is there any spoon or sonic spinner better for murky water? You can PM me if you don't want to broadcast your insight to the public. Thanks in advance. I saw last year someone did quite well on spooning for coho too (when it was open) and he was using just a pink croc spoon (a larger size with silver back). Another question is comparing the technique between spooning for pinks vs for spring or coho. With pink you do slow retrieve and don't need to let the spoon sink much as many pinks take it at the surface layer. With coho you do fast retrieval (I am not sure if you need to sink the spoon). With spring, what is the preference for depth and speed of retrieval? One last question, have you had some success with spooning for chum in lower Frazer and if so, does it take a specific colour?

·
Registered
547 Posts
SHHHHH DONT TELL ANYONE THAT THE SPRINGS ARE RUNNING! KEEP IT A SECRET!!!!!
i got a 20 pounder, and my dad got an 18 pounder! Will post a report tonight when i have time!

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is that red or white? Looks like Vedder white spring. There should be tons of them now in the Vedder. But the prize catch will be the lower Fraser spring that Blair is talking about and there should be both types in the lower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm heading out tonight after work to try some Springs in the lower Fraser. I scoped out a really good spot with aerial photography that I'm hoping to find vacant and hoping to get in 30 mins before high tide hits at 5pm and staying til I run out of light. Using your advice blair. I'll report back!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
so this thread has run for a couple of days now with steady interest with no mention of correcting the title or species.
the early ..pre summer run of chinook are referred
to as springs.

·
Registered
670 Posts
so this thread has run for a couple of days now with steady interest with no mention of correcting the title or species.
to as springs.

I even fish for Winter Springs starting in January. Chew on that for a little

the only time I change the name is when I'm intercepting Columbia river "KINGS" during May and June in the ocean.
Giving respect to our amercian brothers creating a massive fishery for us.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Blair i really don't think that spoon is big enough, you need to find something bigger.

I've got a nice stainless steel bowl that would probably work, with a couple of holes drilled in the edge! :)

Another beauty fish, I'm getting very jealous. Nicely done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
to as springs.
While this is the origin of the name, it is now commonly used to refer to Chinook regardless of when they spawn. Perhaps we should only be allowed refer to them by their proper scientific name Oncorhynchus tshawytscha on this site?

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
small detail with some liking the sound of one over the other.
Not a big deal and dosnt really matter other then reference.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts